Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
yonnoy

Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

Post by yonnoy »

hello, do you recommend me anything for this?

Two months ago (in the middle of Summer) I sowed some batches of haworthia seeds, I used baggie method, the seeds were fresh and I watered them with a solution of 90% water and 10% apple vinegar, but I got zero germination. I used 50% shadow, but heat was around 30°C, containers usually were some hot. Last month I opened the containers and watered them again and I changed bags and closed them again, and 0 germination. Today I renewed the water, I watered and close them again.

Nowadays I am in Autumn (March to June), temperature is around 27°C, I still use 50% shadow. But, is usefull keep the bags closed? is there any hope to germinate any seeds? can I try another way?
Aiko

Re: Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

Post by Aiko »

Haworthia seeds like things cool. I usually sow them along with mesembs somewhere during late March in an unheated greenhouse. The nights are still rather cold, the day time gets warm when the sun shines but nothing close to 30C but maybe on the very odd day. But on the long run they like it rather cool. I suspect night time temperatures of 5-10C and day time temperatures of 15-20 maybe 25C at most are fine (enough). I would certainly not recommend going higher on the long run.

So reading your temperatures I am not amazed the seeds have not germinated.

For now I would recommend to allow the pots to dry out and restart them again in late winter / early spring (depending on how the weather is where you live, it is hard for me to know your weather circumstances).
yonnoy

Re: Recommendations, haworthia seeds zero germination

Post by yonnoy »

Many thanks, I am trying in a shadowed and fesh place.