Fungicides for lithops seedlings?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
blargfoot

Fungicides for lithops seedlings?

Post by blargfoot »

Hello all, does anyone know what fungicides are safe to use for lithops seedlings?

I know it's recommended best practice to douse them with fungicide but all the references I see are for older fungicides that aren't available on the market any more like Triforine or benomyl, which aren't available in the US afaik.

I have several pots of lithops seedlings and don't want to be surprised with sudden death due to fungus suddenly.

Thank you in advance. Any advice is very welcome.
blargfoot

Re: Fungicides for lithops seedlings?

Post by blargfoot »

Nothing?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Sorry, I can't help or I would.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

I think Physan 20 should work.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi Where do you live? That would help..
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you pasteurize the growing mix by heating it (microwave is fastest), you don't really need fungicide.
Spence :mrgreen:
blargfoot

Post by blargfoot »

Hey, thanks for the responses.

> Hi Where do you live? That would help..

I live in Chapel Hill, NC USA.

> If you pasteurize the growing mix by heating it (microwave is fastest), you don't really need fungicide.

I learned about pasteurizing the media pots only after planting ~$50 worth of lithops seeds in a pot that is now showing signs of fungal infection. I'm not sure if the fungus is harmful but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If I had this to do over again, I would absolutely pasteurize everything possible and even use a fully mineral substrate (the one I planted the seeds in is about 5% organic matter).

I'd like to try and save this pot since it's got some decent seedlings in it (Hammeruby, Kikushogiyoku, Malachite, Top Red to name a few) and they've already germinated. They're doing well now but I'm concerned that as the fungus spreads, they'll suffer from it.

Thank you for your responses. Any advice is very welcome.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I would scoop out the affected substrate and spray with either dilute hydrogen peroxide (50:50 water and the 3% H2O2 stuff commonly sold) or a dilute fungicide (I've used BioAdvanced Insect, Disease, and Mite Control with good effect; I have not been consistently measuring, so maybe 5-10%?) You may also need to consider pricking out the seedlings and pot into fresh substrate, but leave the pot open to the air. You may loose seedlings, but some are bound to survive the transplant better than fungal attack.
blargfoot

Post by blargfoot »

MrXeric wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06 am I would scoop out the affected substrate and spray with either dilute hydrogen peroxide (50:50 water and the 3% H2O2 stuff commonly sold) or a dilute fungicide (I've used BioAdvanced Insect, Disease, and Mite Control with good effect; I have not been consistently measuring, so maybe 5-10%?) You may also need to consider pricking out the seedlings and pot into fresh substrate, but leave the pot open to the air. You may loose seedlings, but some are bound to survive the transplant better than fungal attack.
Thank you! I'll give that try.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

You're welcome and good luck!
blargfoot

Post by blargfoot »

Ok, I scooped out as much of the affected substrate as i could, added a little rain water, and then nuked it in the microwave until everything should've been sterile once again.

After letting it cool, I added it back to the pot and then soaked the whole thing in a 25% strength solution of BioAdvanced Rose, Flower and Shrub 32-oz Concentrated All-purpose. According to the instructions (which are solely around using this as a topical spray, not a soil soak), I'm supposed to do this once a week for 2 more weeks and that should eradicate the problem. Fingers crossed!

I think for seedlings in the future I'm just going to go with an all mineral mix ... probably something like pumice, turface, coarse sand.
keith

Post by keith »

Expose the pot to Drier air . Lithops have deep roots even as tiny seedlings so you can try and keep the top surface drier but not the lower part of the pot.

"I think for seedlings in the future I'm just going to go with an all mineral mix ... probably something like pumice, turface, coarse sand."

Also a good idea.
blargfoot

Post by blargfoot »

Btw, I asked the folks at Mesa Gardens and they mentioned that they use Garden Safe Fungicide 3 diluted to 50% on their lithops seedlings with good results.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

blargfoot wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:51 am Btw, I asked the folks at Mesa Gardens and they mentioned that they use Garden Safe Fungicide 3 diluted to 50% on their lithops seedlings with good results.
Good to know, thanks.