Please help? Gymnocalycium?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Lupask01

Please help? Gymnocalycium?

Post by Lupask01 »

I dont know the species which he belong to? Gymo?
Attachments
20220417_115816.jpg
20220417_115816.jpg (128.99 KiB) Viewed 570 times
gillinger

Re: Please help? Gymnocalycium?

Post by gillinger »

G. denudatum would be my guess.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Probably G. horstii if it has a white flower and ssp. bueneckerii if pink. The problem is since the subspecies or variety was sunk into synonymy with G. horstii type form, virtually every picture you see as G. horstii is the pink flowered G, bueneckeri form, since being more attractive it is more commercial for nurserymen to raise than the white flowered form.

From the web:-

"The main difference between the two species (subspecies?) out of flower is in the nature of the epidermis. It is smooth and glossy for G. hortsii but has a matt finish in G. buenekeri."

However whether in habitat the pink and white flowered forms come from discrete populations I do not know, or if the colour gradually changes from white to pink in one direction. Often new introductions of a species blur the supposed distinct limits of the past and then probably they are best regarded as synonymous, irrespective of flower colour.

I was collecting when both HU (= Horst Uebelmann) numbers were first introduced and both easily obtainable, but when I lost the original white flowered one a decade later I had quite a job obtaining it again, though luckily Graham Charles gave me one under the original HU number. Another similar case is the purple flowered Notocactus uebelmannianus (Parodia werneri). There was a yellow flowered form v. flaviflorus but that too has pretty well disappeared since the more spectacular purple one sells better, so nurserymen propagate that instead.

I have a bit of trouble telling G. denudatum and G. horstii white flowered type apart since they look very similar. G. denudatum got the name "spider cactus" because the spines looked like spiders sitting on the areoles and tend to be curved downwards rather than the straighter radiating spines of G. horstii, but even that characteristic is variable.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gy ... HoverTitle
Lupask01

Post by Lupask01 »

Thanks everyone!