My modest collection

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
BryanT

Re: My modest collection

Post by BryanT »

Hanazono wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:38 am G'day abhikjha,
coryphantha elephantidens cv zougemaru
Zougemaru is just Japanese name for elephantidens.
This means the name of your cactus is coryphantha elephantidens cv elephantidens.
Almost all cactus have Japanese names.

Zougemaru means "a round cactus with spines like ivory".

There is a cultivar of elephantidens which has very short spines but it is very different from your cactus.

Frank
Yes quite a few still placing Japanese name on their cactus name, which can confused some buyers, some thought it's a new/different cultivar.
I still see quite a few Hekiran for sale, which just means A. myriostigma v. nudum (hekiruri ranpo-gyoku).
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
Caudexguy99

Post by Caudexguy99 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:47 pm So, if the caudex area has been lifted for a time, can it be buried again and continue to get bigger? How long is that time? That is, the time the caudex area has been exposed to the air.
I rebury smaller caudiciforms I've purchased to get them to grow quicker. Never had problems. I use a primarily inorganic mix to prevent rot.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Caudexguy99 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:11 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:47 pm So, if the caudex area has been lifted for a time, can it be buried again and continue to get bigger? How long is that time? That is, the time the caudex area has been exposed to the air.
I rebury smaller caudiciforms I've purchased to get them to grow quicker. Never had problems. I use a primarily inorganic mix to prevent rot.
Thanks Caudexguy99. Good information
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.