Bookshelf germination

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Lactus

Bookshelf germination

Post by Lactus »

S. Eruca
C. Hypogaea
E. Micromeris
C. Calderana v spiosior
A. Coahuilense
A. Fissuratus
T. Valdezianus
P. Magnifica
Crassula umbella
Lithops
Bowiea volbilis

My first go at growing from seed. Still a learning process!
Attachments
BA271D4E-9E6E-4B96-983C-52BAE04EC127.jpeg
BA271D4E-9E6E-4B96-983C-52BAE04EC127.jpeg (128.93 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Aiko

Re: Bookshelf germination

Post by Aiko »

Good luck!
Your setup looks interesting. Maybe next time when you sow you could buy a sealable container to put the pots in. Is easier than those bags, I have discovered a few years back. I got transparant containers from Ikea, in which my little square pots fit very nicely and no hassle with bags anymore.

I have about 240 pots to sow this year. Did around 180 this weekend, will do the remaining 60 next weekend. It took me quite some hours already. Sowing is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Especially when your toddler plants are blooming for the first time after some years. I notice a lot of my 2017 sown plants start to flower for the first time now and hopefully I can harvest some seeds!
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aiko wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:53 pm Good luck!
Your setup looks interesting. Maybe next time when you sow you could buy a sealable container to put the pots in. Is easier than those bags, I have discovered a few years back. I got transparant containers from Ikea, in which my little square pots fit very nicely and no hassle with bags anymore.

I have about 240 pots to sow this year. Did around 180 this weekend, will do the remaining 60 next weekend. It took me quite some hours already. Sowing is a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. Especially when your toddler plants are blooming for the first time after some years. I notice a lot of my 2017 sown plants start to flower for the first time now and hopefully I can harvest some seeds!
That’s a great idea. I don’t like the bags. I tried a different method using those plastic cups with the lids to prevent the bags from squishing the seedlings. I only sow half of the seeds I get in an order just in case my method doesn’t work. So far I need to add a fungicide and topping for the seeds to stand up a little better. Most of my lithops fell over from the drops hitting them.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I like your setup!
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 am I like your setup!