Parodia ottonis?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
loyall

Parodia ottonis?

Post by loyall »

I am looking to confirm this cactus as Parodia ottonis alias Notocactus ottonis. It is about 3 inches (7.5cm) in diameter. The blossoms look to be yellow. I will know for sure in a few days. The spines are what I would describe as somewhat pitiful; sparse, thin, curved, and twisted. What do you think?
P ottonis_20220418_01.jpg
P ottonis_20220418_01.jpg (80.08 KiB) Viewed 759 times
DaveW

Re: Parodia ottonis?

Post by DaveW »

Yes, one of the ottonis group since they all look pretty similar. Quite a few different specific names have been created in the past and many now dumped into synonymy, depending if you are a "splitter" or "lumper". But you can check against the synonyms given in this link.

http://www.cactusinhabitat.org/index.php?p=specie&id=98
loyall

Post by loyall »

Thank you DaveW. The World of Succulents webpage describes P ottonis spines as slender, hair-like, curved or twisted, and up to 4cm long. Kind of like mine. Most photos on Cactusinhabitat show stouter straighter spines. I read on this forum that amount of sun can affect spination.
Download

Post by Download »

Ah, I have a cacti just like this that I found at IKEA last year. Nice to have a name for it.
loyall

Post by loyall »

Pitiful spines;pretty flowers.
P ottonis_20220421_09.jpg
P ottonis_20220421_09.jpg (69.36 KiB) Viewed 659 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a highly variable species, which accounts for the confusion of names.

Yes, more sun would give stronger spine development - but don't overdo it, this species looks its best if given light shade. If you could give it some direct sun in the morning before the sun gets too high, that might work well.
Spence :mrgreen:
loyall

Post by loyall »

Thanks Spence. I wasn't complaining. "Pitiful spines; pretty flowers" was meant to be a description. My ottonis is getting several hours of sun daily on my south windowsill. I am happy with how it looks.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Good to hear - it seems to be thriving in its current location, no need to change anything.
Spence :mrgreen: