Just got a Cipocereus bradei seedling. Any care tips?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Download

Just got a Cipocereus bradei seedling. Any care tips?

Post by Download »

Most I've ever paid for a seedling, but not for a plant. That wonderful blue colour!

My understanding is that it is from a location with quite consistent temperatures all year round? About 15 to 30 degC?

If that is right, it will be staying inside all winter. Does anyone know how it deals with high temperatures? I live in Australia, where in summer it quite often goes past 40C for a few days at a time. Is this too much?
DaveW

Re: Just got a Cipocereus bradei seedling. Any care tips?

Post by DaveW »

Had a look and had to laugh when I found these cultivation instructions online! If only growing cacti was that simple and prescriptive?

"Cipocereus Bradei needs 0.8 cups of water every 9 days when it doesn't get direct sunlight and is potted in a 5.0" pot."

Seriously I would have thought cultivation was the same as for all those tropical Brazilian species which are OK if you do not let them get too cold.

"Cultivation: These cacti love direct light and heat: always leave them above 8-10°C and water regularly, taking care to dry the soil well to avoid the risk of rot."

https://www.giromagicactusandsucculents ... 20of%20rot.
mikethecactusguy

Re: Just got a Cipocereus bradei seedling. Any care tips?

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Treat them like any other cactus.. Dave W does know best..
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines