So similar to Mamm. hahniana

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
fanaticactus

So similar to Mamm. hahniana

Post by fanaticactus »

I'm sorry I can't supply a couple of photos, but my photo program will no longer import pictures for posting. But I'm hoping this is an easy enough question to answer without a photo. I have a Mamm. hahniana and I bought a similar one, thinking it could be a variety...but I'm not sure. The mystery one has long wool and small dark pink flowers around the crown, even when quite small. The major differences are that it has longer spines that stick out as far as the wool, and the central spines are hooked and are a reddish brown. Any ideas?
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
anttisepp

Re: So similar to Mamm. hahniana

Post by anttisepp »

Hahniana hasn't hooked spines.
Show the photo.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:42 pm Hahniana hasn't hooked spines.
Show the photo.
I cannot post a photo for the reason stated above. The mystery cactus I'm asking about is NOT hahniana, but closely resembles it except it has longer, hooked central spines that are a dark red/brown.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

fanaticactus wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 pm I'm sorry I can't supply a couple of photos, but my photo program will no longer import pictures for posting. But I'm hoping this is an easy enough question to answer without a photo. I have a Mamm. hahniana and I bought a similar one, thinking it could be a variety...but I'm not sure. The mystery one has long wool and small dark pink flowers around the crown, even when quite small. The major differences are that it has longer spines that stick out as far as the wool, and the central spines are hooked and are a reddish brown. Any ideas?
Use another program then like https://picresize.com/ You can upload them to the site if you make them small enough.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
keith

Post by keith »

mammillaria bocasana
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

I agree with keith! Your description fits M. bocasana well.
Download

Post by Download »

fanaticactus wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 pm I'm sorry I can't supply a couple of photos, but my photo program will no longer import pictures for posting. But I'm hoping this is an easy enough question to answer without a photo. I have a Mamm. hahniana and I bought a similar one, thinking it could be a variety...but I'm not sure. The mystery one has long wool and small dark pink flowers around the crown, even when quite small. The major differences are that it has longer spines that stick out as far as the wool, and the central spines are hooked and are a reddish brown. Any ideas?
I'm not sure what trouble you are having with uploading photos, unless you mean transferring from a camera to a computer.

Upload them to somewhere like imgur.com
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

Thanks to you all for the ID (it is indeed a M. bocasana) and for the suggestions about the photos. The photo problem, I guess, is too complicated to explain here, but I intend to call an IT friend in a different state who knows I've had laptop problems since it was wiped, and I hope he can help me decide on a new photo program to use.