Where did everyone go.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
nes

Re: Where did everyone go.

Post by nes »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:32 pm

I don't know ? Maybe not hot enough for example I had a Echinomastus in CA moved to Phoenix AZ and the plant came back to life , flowered etc.
Moved back to CA and they slowly died away. This is coastal CA where I live, inland way hotter so probably growers there may have better luck ?
Amazing plants nonetheless.

Would also like to read more about the transition from coastal CA to AZ. I'm graduating college this year and though the job market is great for geologists in CA, I want to get away from the high cost of living. I am thinking of taking a job in Tucson as rent is extremely cheap.

Is there a thread where you talk more about how plants took the transition moving
nes

Post by nes »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:00 am there is a sense of lack of substance
I agree, I'm on instagram under an alias and it feels like the app consists of too many people trying to sell you plants. It's also very common to see poached plants on pages of Japanese growers. Finally, because photos typically have no context, I generally assume the person just dropped hundreds on an old plant, and purchased an overpriced fancy pot for it just to flaunt their possessions.

On this forum, a lot of the things I dislike about Instagram don't exist, but there is also a much larger community on Instagram when compared to cactiguide.
keith

Post by keith »

I am thinking of taking a job in Tucson as rent is extremely cheap. " Good idea I would move but my job is here.

Most of my cactus I now have I bought in AZ and brought back to CA in 2009. Tucson is nicer weather than Phoenix not as hot at night and more rain.
nes

Post by nes »

keith wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:12 pm Tucson is nicer weather than Phoenix not as hot at night and more rain.
my concern is mainly with the winter growers and chilean cactus. here in coastal CA we get that night dew and higher humidity. It feels like conos and copiapoa would just melt in AZ.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:32 pm This is coastal CA where I live, inland way hotter so probably growers there may have better luck ?
I am inland, so we'll see when I sow some, maybe next year.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

nes wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:54 am It's also very common to see poached plants on pages of Japanese growers.
You know, I've always wondered if Japanese growers would see recent wild collected plants as "poached", like what I imagine most western growers deem any endangered plant collected just for the sake of growing it in a pot, or as "yamadori", the practice of collecting material from the field for the sake of the art of bonsai.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The Chinese too. A few years ago one published a picture of quite a few bare root obviously just recently collected Aztekium valdezii on another Forum which had just been described and was amazed at the negative reaction he got, therefore quickly disappeared. Different countries have different opinions on free trade and therefore CITES enforcement, even if they sign up to it.

The UK is now probably the most bureaucratic regulations enforcer, so nobody wants to export plants or seed to us. Most new introduction seem to come into the EU via the E. European countries who seem to have a more liberal interpretation of CITES regulations and then these propagations can flow freely throughout the EU being classed as a single market not individual countries. Britain of course is now out of the EU so our brain numbing bureaucracy stops them crossing from the EU to the UK, even though in widespread cultivation in Europe.

The Chinese commercial cactus industry is far larger than most in the West realise.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:39 pm Hi All
It's a relief to have CactiGuide up and running again. I was growing more and more frustrated with all the Facebook Groups. To be able to have an intelligent conversation with our resident long time experts is a pleasure. At the same time there is a noticeable absence of many of the newer members that had been working their way up the ladder. I wonder what happened to those.
Mike M
Mikethecactusguy; I fully agree with your first sentence! :) Regarding the absence of the newer members , they may have had the same thoughts as me ( and as you mentions in your third sentence) ? They may feel they don’t have enough experience and knowledge to participate in an intelligent conversation, lacking the already mentioned expertice.

I have written loads of post in my head, who never came ‘alive’ on the forum ( some may be grateful for this.. 8) ) thinking that these subjects/thoughts wouldn’t be of any interest for long time growers.

You may remember commenting on the link guide on my blog here, that I should post the links directly on the forum? The real reason ( yes I admit I wasn’t absolutely honest in my answer to you) I don’t do it, is the ‘fear’ that other members would find them less than interesting and just filling the forum with boring stuff/ ‘we already know that..’ . So I ‘hide’ them on my blog, to not annoy anyone.

Speaking for my self only, I have not lost interest in cacti, not at all ! , I am just trying to not take up to much ‘space’ on the forum.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

I just read about a succulent that grows wild on hills here in Palo Verdes Peninsula Ca. being illegally harvested by Asian Collectors, decimating the area and then importing them back home for sale. I think someone posted about it a few months ago? Yes?
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
loyall

Post by loyall »

Mike,
Someone posted a link on this forum a while back about illegal harvesting of a succulent named dudleya in California. I don't remember where I saw it. By the way, I like the aphorism signature on all your posts, but I think you need to correct the spelling of spines.
nes

Post by nes »

Don't know if I can find the right instagram account but I saw a japanese clothing brand marketing a shirt that had a pachypodium gracilus then an X over it saying "endangered plant species". That same account posted tons of poached gracilus in those black pots with teeth painted onto them.
Definitely one of the most hollow headed things I've seen in the trade. Going to look for the specific @ so I can share.
mikethecactusguy

Thank you loyall. Corrected. I don't know why I did that a fews back.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:20 pm Thank you loyall. Corrected. I don't know why I did that a fews back.
Mike, I remember posting in a thread a few months/weeks ago where we were busting you about the "spins". You must have missed it...or chose to ignore us! Where it is, is a good question.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
keith

Post by keith »

It feels like conos and copiapoa would just melt in AZ." Maybe ? Shade and don't water much when it stays super hot at night. Copiapoa I think would be OK ? I've seen them grown in Tucson, Miles2go has some nice ones. Conophytum take them inside during Summer monsoon ? IDK I didnt grow Conophytums in Phoenix but did grow Lithops.
mikethecactusguy

Hi Jerry.
I did not see it. I never ignore anyone. So times I just not to engage. post the thread link, please. I have to read it.
Thanks
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines