Leuchtenbergia principis indoors?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Leuchtenbergia principis indoors?

Post by Mrs.Green »

Leuchtenbergia principis is on my wishlist and there are now some available. But reading about its preferred growing conditions ( much sun, prone to root-rot) made me uncertain if living indoors in a northern climate , would be sufficient? Buying a plant that will at best cling to life under my growing conditions is a waste of money and the plants life. Any experience with windowsill growing of this species? :)
DaveW

Re: Leuchtenbergia principis indoors?

Post by DaveW »

I've grown mine in cold old UK for years since I bought it as a small seedling in the 1960's. However its growing in the greenhouse. No great trouble in cultivation since they are related to Ferocactus even though looking very dissimilar. Should grow OK on a windowsill if they get plenty of light. Apparently they need plenty of water when growing to get them to flower, therefore I have not flowered mine that much evidently keeping it too dry in summer, but friends water theirs much more and flower them every year.

leuchtenbergia.jpg
leuchtenbergia.jpg (125.02 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

https://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/LEUCH ... ncipis.htm

I also have a small plant of the form called trachythele. Trachy means rough + thele = tubercle. Only difference for mine seems to be thinner tubercles like the Uhlig one in the link below, though it is supposed to have rough surfaced tubercles like sandpaper but I have not noticed it. There seems to be a mixture of plants under the name "trachythele", some with thinner tubercles like mine, but some looking like the normal L. principis. Note the difference between the plants from Unlig and the ones grown from Kohres seed.

https://www.uhlig-kakteen.de/de/leuchte ... thele.html

http://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Fa ... rachythele
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Hej! I have here in the North 4 ones, very unpretentious, the eldest is about 35 y old, 3 flower regulary (smallest one is very young yet), but all spend summertime in greenhouse. As Ferocacti they need much space, sun, food...
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank s a lot DaveW and Antisepp! :) Very tempted , have never seen one IRl but found it fascinating years ago, looking at pics in books. Was more or less ready to order one but then the winter came back again with more snow and blue temperatures.. Hopefully spring will arrive soon, isn’t to keen on ordering anything as long as its freezing temps.
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

Ime, they're among the less difficult cacti. Almost all cacti are dormant for the winter, so indoors for that part is okay (don't water), they would appreciate half a day of sun during the growing season though. They can handle light frosts as long as they are bone dry, mine have seen 26'f with no losses.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

promethean_spark wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:59 pm Ime, they're among the less difficult cacti. Almost all cacti are dormant for the winter, so indoors for that part is okay (don't water), they would appreciate half a day of sun during the growing season though. They can handle light frosts as long as they are bone dry, mine have seen 26'f with no losses.
Thank you :) I am very tempted to buy one. After reading about a lot of peoples experiences , the watering part seems to be ‘interesting’. From what I read , they can take and thrive on much more water than most cacti.
7george

Post by 7george »

I don't have big experience with growing these indoors but recently saw one grown in a GH with other tropical's. Even knowing these reach 35 (and up to 70 sometimes) cm height by species description looked quite impressive.
leuch_75.JPG
leuch_75.JPG (158.21 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
Obviously kept moist even in small for the plant pot. But the heat could be important factor for the success.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I've been thinking I need to water mine more. The "spikes-aeroles-leaves?" all brown out at the tips, but it keeps making new green growth. Seems to be a call for much more moist conditions.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

7george wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:01 am I don't have big experience with growing these indoors but recently saw one grown in a GH with other tropical's. Even knowing these reach 35 (and up to 70 sometimes) cm height by species description looked quite impressive.

leuch_75.JPG

Obviously kept moist even in small for the plant pot. But the heat could be important factor for the success.
Thank you 7george :) I am not sure what I think about this specimen, to be honest. The growth shape looks odd to me, but then of course I have never seen one IRL. From the habitat pics I have seen, they don’t grow like this? Straight upwards and even length on the ‘leaves’

Would be interesting to hear what others with knowledge of this species think about this specimen.

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:43 pm I've been thinking I need to water mine more. The "spikes-aeroles-leaves?" all brown out at the tips, but it keeps making new green growth. Seems to be a call for much more moist conditions.
Hi Jerrytheplater :) The watering issue is something I amma bit worried about, if I decide to buy one. Several sources recommends rather ‘heavy’ watering but I would be pretty afraid of root rot..
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I'm watering weekly now. I want to keep the arms green. Maybe even a more organic mix.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:32 pm
Thank you 7george :) I am not sure what I think about this specimen, to be honest. The growth shape looks odd to me, but then of course I have never seen one IRL. From the habitat pics I have seen, they don’t grow like this? Straight upwards and even length on the ‘leaves’

Would be interesting to hear what others with knowledge of this species think about this specimen.
A pampered life in the greenhouse will do that to a cactus, growing all big and lush like that. :wink:
7george

Post by 7george »

MrXeric wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:03 am
Mrs.Green wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:32 pm

A pampered life in the greenhouse will do that to a cactus, growing all big and lush like that. :wink:
Fully agree with this conclusion. Other cacti in that GH also looked oversized.
https://i.postimg.cc/WbDN9wmM/IMG-7989re.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/GhZc6Tz6/IMG-7998e.jpg
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MrXeric wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:03 am
Thank you MrXeric :)Yes, I am aware of that but from the pics I have seen ( greenhousegrown) none of them hav looked quite like that. If I had several plants to choose from, I wouldnt have picked that one, it looks ‘wrong’ to me. I shall not pretend to be one of the purist who prefer my plants to look half dead..but there is a middleground :D
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Mrs.Green wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:39 pm Thank you MrXeric :)Yes, I am aware of that but from the pics I have seen ( greenhousegrown) none of them hav looked quite like that. If I had several plants to choose from, I wouldnt have picked that one, it looks ‘wrong’ to me. I shall not pretend to be one of the purist who prefer my plants to look half dead..but there is a middleground :D
Ah, I did not mean that just growing in the greenhouse will produce this growth, but rather the more tender light combined with what I assume more frequent water and fertilizer will make for a very "green" plant. But I agree, as impressive as that plant is, I can't help but prefer the more compact form of a hard grown specimen. That and the spines. Love the long, rough and messy spines. Almost like dead grass. :)
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MrXeric; Yes I fully agree, it’s the species natural look that appeals to me, not that juicy , straight upward growing look.