Nomenclature

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mike

Nomenclature

Post by Mike »

while looking at various sites trying to identify cacti and succulents, I have been puzzled by the variety names for one species. One site, for Haworthias, had pictures of species and then other pics like
H Reinwardtii fa tenuis
H obtusa var pilfera
H ___ ssp ____
I assume this means, in reverse order, subspecies, variety and ????? for the first, but I have not a clue as to the differences between them.

Thanks Mike
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

Click on the button 'Cacti Articles' ner the top of this page and read the 'How to write a Scientific Name' that should be of great help to you in the meantime fa is for form or forma.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice article by this Chippendale bloke. Who is he? By the way, I have always wondered if 'bloke' which isn't used much here has a good, bad or other connotation?
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Mike,

The Chippindale bloke is of course, me, and bloke is English slang for a fellow man and has good connotations. It is a friendly way of addressing someone, "My mates a good bloke"

John
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

John,

Have you looked at the New Zealand C&SS site? They have done a wonderful job of explaining plant growth and some of the more interesting aspects of our hobby such as CAM (Crassulacean Acid Metabolism) which is the survival and growth techinque developed by succulents all over the world to deal with super hot days and no rain.

It was discoverd in South Africa by a Botanist in the 1800's who noticed that crassula leaves tasted bitter early in the morning and not by noon or so. I mean, why? Turns out that this form of survival that causes this phenomenon replocates in most hot and dry area succulents throughout the world.

We should at least have it linked to this site or maybe our own version.

The URL is. http://www.cssnz.org

I had a little trouble locating it just now, so it put CAM in their search box and it took me there. Very nice, quite complete about the subject as are many of the other educational points on their site.

Buck
Buck Hemenway
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

templegatejohn wrote:Hi Mike,

The Chippindale bloke is of course, me, and bloke is English slang for a fellow man and has good connotations. It is a friendly way of addressing someone, "My mates a good bloke"

John
Sounds like the equivelent of "Dude" in the US.

"This guys a good dude!"
Mike

Post by Mike »

Prbably right, but I think bloke is much older than dude, and also more commonly used by more generations.

By the way, I didn't notice subspecies in thearticle. Where does that fit in with Var. f and cv.

Mike.
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Mike,

Keep reading - the article about how to write a scientific name.
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Buck,

Thanks for the link to the New Zealand site. I will have to take some time out to look at it in detail.

John
Mike

Post by Mike »

Buck, I seem to be dense this morning - I am not finding the ssp or subspecies discussion. Thanks Mike :oops:
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Sorry, got ahead of myself.

John's better at this than me, basically sub-species indicates a variance in a species due to the native growing ground of the plant being some distance from the true species, but the basic plant structure is the same. The definitions of this are subject to interpretation by every botanist in the field. I listened to a couple at the CSSA convention prove (to themselves at least) that 32 species of hooked spine mammillaria in central Mexico should really be 20. Everyone left the room shaking their heads. Anyway sub-species is pretty much like it sounds. Some books use ssp. and other use subsp.
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi everybody,

Yes Buck has probably explained that better than I could, all I can really add is a quote from the most up to date book I have, which really only muddies the water even more (Botanists should be good at tug-of-war, because they are always pulling in opposite directions).

Here's the quote:
"subsp. Subspecies. taxonomic rank below species and above variety and form. There is no absolute definition for the term, which in recent years has been used as a synonym for and in preference to 'variety'."

So that's it straight from the horse's mouth as they say.

John