Copiapoa cinerea seeds

CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
Lactus

Copiapoa cinerea seeds

Post by Lactus »

Seems like they are sold out everywhere! Where did they all go?
MrXeric

Re: Copiapoa cinerea seeds

Post by MrXeric »

Mesa Garden sometimes has some up along with other Copiapoa species. Last year, around the fall I believe, they put up several on their website but they sold out within hours, or at least faster than I could make up my mind on which species/localities to buy! :lol:
Paul679

Post by Paul679 »

You could try here https://www.cactusalvaralto.com/en/venta-de-semillas/. I have never purchased from them but hope to one day.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

MrXeric wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:51 pm Mesa Garden sometimes has some up along with other Copiapoa species. Last year, around the fall I believe, they put up several on their website but they sold out within hours, or at least faster than I could make up my mind on which species/localities to buy! :lol:
Lol. Thats nutts. I didn't realize someone had posted something similar in 2021. There were some good leads in that thread.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Paul679 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 3:26 am You could try here https://www.cactusalvaralto.com/en/venta-de-semillas/. I have never purchased from them but hope to one day.
I've seen their site around. I'll look into it! Thanks.
keith

Post by keith »

Very popular now . 30 Years ago I went to a "Dr Cactus" whole backyard full of copiapoas I should have bought some #-o

Mesa probably has them for a day or so they sell out very fast and I think they sell them in small qty's like 10 seeds 8 bucks. I bought seeds of cinerea from mesa long time ago Steve Brack said "you cant push them and it will take 10 years until you have something to talk about." They must not have made it this was a long time and many moves ago. They did sprout I remember that but probably got wiped out in the great root mealie bug purge. Lost half the collection to that infestation it was bad and I didn't know what I was doing.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

keith wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:45 pm Very popular now . 30 Years ago I went to a "Dr Cactus" whole backyard full of copiapoas I should have bought some #-o

Mesa probably has them for a day or so they sell out very fast and I think they sell them in small qty's like 10 seeds 8 bucks. I bought seeds of cinerea from mesa long time ago Steve Brack said "you cant push them and it will take 10 years until you have something to talk about." They must not have made it this was a long time and many moves ago. They did sprout I remember that but probably got wiped out in the great root mealie bug purge. Lost half the collection to that infestation it was bad and I didn't know what I was doing.
Oh no! That's awful. I think I found some in the Czech Republic. I'm going to try ordering some.
creepycactuschris

Post by creepycactuschris »

I just bought some cinera from mesa couple weeks ago. They just listed them.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

For certain rarer species on seed lists you have to order immediately the list comes out since they will be in demand. Many choice seeds are in short supply but put on the list to both attract buyers and also sell the commoner species.

Some dealers in the past, before email and PayPal, used to have dozens of orders come in by the next post after their list was published. The moral then is get in quick before they get sold out.

Also, those putting in larger orders, including the more available seeds often got priority for rarities over those just ordering a few of the more exotic species. Good business practice to look after your best customers? I did once act as an agent for a no longer trading Dutch cactus seed firm in the 1960's and that's what I was told at the time.
rocketFOOD

Post by rocketFOOD »

Mesa has been updating Copiapoa seeds on Saturday mornings around 10AM MST for last several weeks. They often have a Cinerea variety in the updates. Worth following them on instagram for updates or setting up an RSS as you have to act fast.