The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
ohugal

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by ohugal »

Hi Everyone,

Me and my better half bought a house a while back. I'm currently renovating it. I'll have a southwest oriented room with a big window dedicated to my succulents. In a later stage I will provide an outdoor solution or greenhouse for 'them'. In the room I will be able to give them a long deserved winter's rest. My succulents are still at the appartment, but I'm already placing plants I get from the local botanical garden in the room. For now I've positioned them away from the window, because I've had 2 cases of sunburn and because they placed the new windows this week. I will be moving them closer to the windows in the following weeks.
IMG_1143.jpg
IMG_1143.jpg (108.89 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1176.jpg
IMG_1176.jpg (97.6 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg (114.15 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1180.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1191.jpg
IMG_1191.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1192.jpg (88.66 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg (84.99 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg (100.28 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1197.jpg
IMG_1197.jpg (108.71 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1199.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg (82.73 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1219.jpg (120.27 KiB) Viewed 3272 times
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
BryanT

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Post by BryanT »

Hi Ohugal!
The 3rd & 4th last photos, is that Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele subs minimus?
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I’m pretty sure on T. pseudomachrochele, but will have to check on subs. minimus. I got it from the local botanical garden since a lot of plants will be out of care soon. It had just flowered when I picked it out. I recently saw it on an another member blog post. It’s already one of my favorite plants.
hardiness zone 8a
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Yes. They are small, very slow growing, but good looking plants.
Mine was quite old, must be at least 15 years old, can't remember. :D
According to some of the description on the web, the minimus has yellow flower, but mine is purple stripe, more like normal Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele. I got it from one of the reputable nursery here, so I assume the label is right.
Below in 2.5" pot.
Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele subs minimus.JPG
Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele subs minimus.JPG (102.79 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Bryan
Bryan
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

BryanT wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:42 am Mine was quite old, must be at least 15 years old, can't remember. :D
You mean you don't have it anymore?
It's looks very nice. It's a plant with a lot of details. What kind of background do you have in the photograph?
What kind of soil do you grow it in and what are your growing conditions? Any tips to spare?
hardiness zone 8a
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Ohugal; Nice collection! Must comment on the pot in the first pic, I normally don’t like fancy pots but that one is really good looking! :) Have you made it yourself? I see you mentions that several of the plants come from a local botanical garden. Is this the same place as the one you made some posts about? Will the cactus/succulent section be shut down?
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

I still have it. The above photo was taken few months ago when it started to flower. And it still pop-up few flowers last week.
It's mid autumn here, night temperature can below 10°C, so not many flowering cactus at the moment.
Your photos 5th & 6th Matucana madisoniorum, one of mine just flower few days ago. Unfortunately I didn't take the photo when it fully open.
The background is just a pieces of matt black plastic sheet.
Most my cactus are in about 80% - 90% mineral soil, nothing special. Some of my cactus grow in the ground outdoor, some outdoor in pots, some under shade cloth, indoor, everywhere........ :D :D The Turbinicarpus above is in the greenhouse.
Bryan
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:57 pm Ohugal; Nice collection! Must comment on the pot in the first pic, I normally don’t like fancy pots but that one is really good looking! :) Have you made it yourself?
A new member of our cactus club made it. His name is Nick. He just started out with succulents and ceramics, but is very driven. Unfortunately the pots are only on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ferus_ceramics/. He also has a plantshop on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/be/shop/AntwerpSuc ... 1165595703. I won the pot at the "lottery" at out latest club meeting.

Regarding the cactus collection at the local botanical garden: unfortunately the succulents will have no carekeeper as of June 2022. Me and Gerard (one of the gardeners) were supposed to be registered as volunteers in order to start at the greenhouse. After 60+ phonecalls, endless messages and several meetings this did not happen. I don't know the reason. I basically already identified +2OO species and 'drafted' two other volunteers. Gerard, who is a key figure in the story, got so tired of all this he went to volunteer at the botanical garden in Meise (near Brussels). Without him, it's too much for me too handle, so I had to throw in the towel. I try not to think about it too much. On the plus side, I do get to sneak in once in a while for some plants (not from the central bed, but where they keep their spares). I will probably do one more run (or two). :)
BryanT wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:15 pm Your photos 5th & 6th Matucana madisoniorum, one of mine just flower few days ago. Unfortunately I didn't take the photo when it fully open.
Would love to see pictures of it (with or without flower).
hardiness zone 8a
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Here is the Matucana madisoniorum that flower few days ago.
Photo taken this morning. The one on the left is the younger plant.
Matucana madisoniorum.JPG
Matucana madisoniorum.JPG (70.94 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Not many flower at the moment, but the Ferocactus herrerae still have lots of flowers, and the bees are busy. :D
Ferocactus herrerae01.JPG
Ferocactus herrerae01.JPG (87.23 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Ferocactus herrerae01-1.JPG
Ferocactus herrerae01-1.JPG (69.09 KiB) Viewed 3131 times
Your plants should be flowering soon when your weather gets warmer with a bit of more sun light.
Here we are getting colder, so the summer dormant plants are flowering at the moment.
Bryan
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Sorry to hear about the botanical garden project. Such a shame.

Quite a few impressive specimens you have there, I'm sure they'll thrive in your care.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

What a shame about the collection in the botanical garden! What will happen to the collection, if there is no-one to take care of the plants? Rescue as many as you can and are allowed :)
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Mrs.Green wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:25 pm What a shame about the collection in the botanical garden! What will happen to the collection, if there is no-one to take care of the plants? Rescue as many as you can and are allowed :)
I don't know what will happen to the collection. My hypothesis is it will be neglected. Which in turn will be a reason for the city of Antwerp to close it and find a new function for it. Preferably one which benefits them financially. I'm going back in the course of next week for some more plants. I do wish it wasn't like that though. Here's a list of the plants and cuttings I've obtained so far:
  • Agave victoria-reginae
  • Aloe aristata
  • Ariocarpus agavoides
  • Echinocereus engelmanii
  • Gymnocalycium calochlorum
  • Haworthia attenuata
  • Leuchtenbergia principis
  • Matucana madisoniorum
  • Turbinicarpus saueri ssp. nelissae
  • Opuntia zebrina f. reticulata
  • Rebutia heliosa
  • Stenocactus multicostatus subsp. Zacatecasensis
  • Stenocactus pentacanthus
  • Stenocactus phyllacanthus
  • Tephrocactus A. var. Papyracanthus
  • Tephrocactus diademata
  • Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele
  • Turbinicarpus schmiedickeanus
Some more pictures...

Nobody puts baby in the corner (unless you've had too much sun).
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG (99.07 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
This one is about to have flowers (no id yet).
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1282.JPG (118.48 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
hardiness zone 8a
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Ohugal wrote; ‘I don't know what will happen to the collection. My hypothesis is it will be neglected. Which in turn will be a reason for the city of Antwerp to close it and find a new function for it. Preferably one which benefits them financially. I'm going back in the course of next week for some more plants. I do wish it wasn't like that though.’

Such a shame.. Your hyopthesis is probably right, unfortunately.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I got some new members for the family. These are most likely the last specimens I will get from the botanical garden. I think I overstayed my welcome. :) Euphorbia meloformis (?), Rebutia pygmea, Agave toumeyana var. bella, Euphorbia schoenlandii (?)
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG (132.93 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG (130.64 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
IMG_1329.JPG
IMG_1329.JPG (87.23 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
IMG_1330.JPG
IMG_1330.JPG (58.56 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
IMG_1332.JPG
IMG_1332.JPG (125.78 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
IMG_1334.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
The weather is pretty shaky here, but I hope this one will flower at some point:
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG (113.46 KiB) Viewed 2809 times
hardiness zone 8a
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

You are right with the Euphorbias.
Awesome Euphorbia meloformis specimen. :thumbleft:
Bryan