The Way Gymnocalyciums Rot

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
nes

The Way Gymnocalyciums Rot

Post by nes »

I've had two of my gymnocalyciums rot out on my. They simply stopped growing, after a month of no growth I unpotted one and the roots simply snapped off. The inside was rotted but not squishy? The outside of the plant was perfectly green and firm but the cactus was entirely rotted through.
Usually, in my experience, plants get squishy when rotted, but gymnocalyciums dont seem to rot the same way.
ohugal

Re: The Way Gymnocalyciums Rot

Post by ohugal »

Dry rot perhaps?
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
nes

Post by nes »

ohugal wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:41 am Dry rot perhaps?
No signs of dry rot were on the skin. Didn't know dry rot was a thing but there was no rust/brown on the outside of the cactus.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

I don’t know the cause, but I’ve seen it at a Mammilaria or two at the botanical garden. They look fine, but upon repotting them they’re hollow inside. A picture maybe?
hardiness zone 8a
nes

Post by nes »

ohugal wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:12 am I don’t know the cause, but I’ve seen it at a Mammilaria or two at the botanical garden. They look fine, but upon repotting them they’re hollow inside. A picture maybe?I
Didn't take one at the time. Was too frustrated at rot. I barely ever water, so idk. All my cacti grow outside so they do get nighttime humidity because i live near the ocean. Most cacti seem to be able to handle it, but I've had two gymnocalyciums dry rot on me.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, not all rots are mushy. My old Echinopsis ancitrophora (shown in my avatar picture) died a few years back during the winter when it was bone dry. It looked fine most of the winter, but just shriveled up when spring approached - dry and hard, not mushy. It looked like it was producing fruiting bodies of the rot organism, so I just got rid of it.

Fortunately, i had seed from it. Its daughters should be blooming size in a year or two.
Spence :mrgreen:
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

greenknight wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:21 am It looked like it was producing fruiting bodies of the rot organism, so I just got rid of it.
What do they look like?
hardiness zone 8a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

ohugal wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 7:21 pm
greenknight wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:21 am It looked like it was producing fruiting bodies of the rot organism, so I just got rid of it.
What do they look like?
It looked moldy.
Spence :mrgreen: