Any help appreciated, Mammillaria sp.

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ColdCacti603

Any help appreciated, Mammillaria sp.

Post by ColdCacti603 »

Hey Everyone,
I've been trying to identify a few cacti I have and stumbled onto this awesome website. I've had this Mammilaria sp for almost two years and never knew its true identity. It's about 3.5" (9cm) tall and 2.75" (7cm) wide. I'm newly Cacti obsessed, but I believe it to be a M. hahniana or M. albinata (or something else entirely). The spine number and color seem to match M. hahniana, but there seem to be subtle differences in the pistil color between this cactus and pictures I've seen of M. hahniana online. It also doesn't seem quite as hairy, maybe environmental? I'm not sure if that's identifiable or just variation seen within a specie. I've attached pictures of the flowers, top view and a close up of the spines for reference. It's young so I may just need to be patient, but any guidance would be much appreciated, thank you!
Attachments
Ring of flowers around the crown of the plant
Ring of flowers around the crown of the plant
m_sp_side_cg.jpg (148.19 KiB) Viewed 514 times
m_sp_top_cg.jpg
m_sp_top_cg.jpg (185.66 KiB) Viewed 514 times
m_sp_spine_cg.jpg
m_sp_spine_cg.jpg (201.91 KiB) Viewed 514 times
anttisepp

Re: Any help appreciated, Mammillaria sp.

Post by anttisepp »

M. woodsii, perhaps?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

anttisepp wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:28 am M. woodsii, perhaps?
I was thinking M. hahniana. Never heard of M. woodsii, so I searched and learned that it's now considered a subspecies of hahniana - so I guess I agree. :)
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes there are a few forms in the M. hahniana group, mainly varying according to the amount of hair produced. Whether you keep them as separate species or just reduced to varieties is a matter of opinion. There were two good Mammllaria's of the Month articles covering them here:-

http://mammillaria.net/oldweb/mammofmonth-Sep08.htm

http://mammillaria.net/oldweb/mammofmonth-Oct08.htm
ColdCacti603

Post by ColdCacti603 »

Thank you all! It's all so fascinating :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Oh, and in answer to your second question - given lots of sun it should get more woolly, but it's clearly not one of the very hairy strains of hahniana. As Dave's links illustrate, it's a pretty variable group.
Spence :mrgreen:
ColdCacti603

Post by ColdCacti603 »

greenknight wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:49 am Oh, and in answer to your second question - given lots of sun it should get more woolly, but it's clearly not one of the very hairy strains of hahniana. As Dave's links illustrate, it's a pretty variable group.
Good to know, thank you!