Aloinopsis rubrolineata from seed

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Lactus

Aloinopsis rubrolineata from seed

Post by Lactus »

Hello. I had some Aloinopsis rubrolineata seed germinating and they all suddenly keeled over and died. I have them growing in a mixture of cactus mix with added pumice in a ziplock bag. All the seeds I planted germinated, but then they all just fell over and withered away. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Aeonium2003

Re: Aloinopsis rubrolineata from seed

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Probably damping off. Was the soil mixture sterilized?
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:11 am Probably damping off. Was the soil mixture sterilized?
What does damping off mean? I don’t have a microwave so I used hydrogen peroxide and a fungicide.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

They can be a bit hard at first, sowed them twice, got some plants, but many seedlings didn't make it. But ziplock sowing requires sterilisation, which can also be done in a cooking pot, if you use containers instead of bags, preferably a pressure cooker. I've done it before and I'm temped to say, worked even better than in a microwave :) With me the hardest part was when opening the containers for the first time, and some seedlings started dropping, leaving me wondering if it's because they were too dry...or too wet...still not sure.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Jangaudi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:21 am They can be a bit hard at first, sowed them twice, got some plants, but many seedlings didn't make it. But ziplock sowing requires sterilisation, which can also be done in a cooking pot, if you use containers instead of bags, preferably a pressure cooker. I've done it before and I'm temped to say, worked even better than in a microwave :) With me the hardest part was when opening the containers for the first time, and some seedlings started dropping, leaving me wondering if it's because they were too dry...or too wet...still not sure.
Hmm. I do have some more seeds. I’m going to give it another try.

Do you mean you put the whole container with soil in a pressure cooker?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Lactus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:39 pm Do you mean you put the whole container with soil in a pressure cooker?
Pretty much so yeah, with moist soil inside, ready to sow, same as if I would put it in the microwave, with a lid on it, but not turned on, otherwise you risk pieces ;) I have one of these bamboo steam plates that I put in the pot first, so the glass doesn't start banging on the bottom of the pot when it's bioling. I use glass jars, but I guess some heat resistant plastics could also do the trick. And probably best wait to sow till after the summer. they are sort of cool germinators as far as I remember.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Jangaudi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:46 pm
Lactus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:39 pm Do you mean you put the whole container with soil in a pressure cooker?
Pretty much so yeah, with moist soil inside, ready to sow, same as if I would put it in the microwave, with a lid on it, but not turned on, otherwise you risk pieces ;) I have one of these bamboo steam plates that I put in the pot first, so the glass doesn't start banging on the bottom of the pot when it's bioling. I use glass jars, but I guess some heat resistant plastics could also do the trick. And probably best wait to sow till after the summer. they are sort of cool germinators as far as I remember.
Oh good to know. Thank you. It stays pretty cool where I live most of the year haha. I have them on a heat mat too. Would it be better to leave them off?
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

hmm, I saw someone saying germination temp. between 18 and 28°C, and somewhere else, during summer, when it's warm, altough they are considered winter growers. Seems they are not too picky about temperatures, I think you're good to go ;)
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Jangaudi wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:18 pm hmm, I saw someone saying germination temp. between 18 and 28°C, and somewhere else, during summer, when it's warm, altough they are considered winter growers. Seems they are not too picky about temperatures, I think you're good to go ;)
Great. Thanks for the help!
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

To sterilize the mix, you could always pour boiling water on it. More effective than hydrogen peroxide IMO.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:32 pm To sterilize the mix, you could always pour boiling water on it. More effective than hydrogen peroxide IMO.
That’s good to know. Thanks.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Lactus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:16 am
Aeonium2003 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:11 am Probably damping off. Was the soil mixture sterilized?
What does damping off mean? I don’t have a microwave so I used hydrogen peroxide and a fungicide.
Damping off is a soil fungus that attacks seedlings and kills them. https://extension.psu.edu/damping-off
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:13 pm
Lactus wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:16 am
Damping off is a soil fungus that attacks seedlings and kills them. https://extension.psu.edu/damping-off
Aw. Thanks for the link. This happened to my lithops too ](*,)