propagating Rebutia heliosa

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
ohugal

propagating Rebutia heliosa

Post by ohugal »

Hi Everyone,

I don't have a proper picture so I will try to describe the situation as well as possible. I have (had) a Rebutia which I repotted a while ago. You have the main stem which splits into two seperate stems. Each of these two stems has various offsets. Today I noticed the main stem has started to rot. The color of the stem was quite dark when I got the plant, but had a firm structure. I though nothing of it. I'm pretty sure the two seperate stems can be saved. If I manage to seperate the two stems with healthy tissue, would I be able to root these? Or is the safer choice to remove the individual offsets and attempt to root these instead? Thanks.
IMG_1173 kopie.jpg
IMG_1173 kopie.jpg (114.7 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
jerrytheplater

Re: propagating Rebutia heliosa

Post by jerrytheplater »

You should be able to root all of your cuttings as long as you cut back to healthy tissue.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yep - root anything which doesn't show any discoloration.
Spence :mrgreen:
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Unfortunately I had to separate the offsets. Both of the branching stems had discoloration. I hope they root well. They grey stuff is aluminum powder to prevent infection.
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG (87.61 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG (111.67 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG (70.1 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
IMG_1273.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG (57.59 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG (56.16 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
IMG_1280.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG (75.67 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
hardiness zone 8a
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

The cuttings look good. The smaller ones might be a bit of challenge, they tend to dry/rot more easily. Grafting is another option, but I had few successes with even smaller cutting, especially the ones that separated from the joint area, possible because the cut surface heal faster.
Good luck!
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed - they could all grow. The reason cuttings separated from the joint area root better is that the joint contains a concentration of meristem cells, growth point cells which can develop into any kind of growth including roots.
Spence :mrgreen:
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Always learning new stuff here. Thanks.
hardiness zone 8a
7george

Post by 7george »

This species is rot prone. I lost the main stem of my plant but rooted 2 offsets of it. Now I keep those in a small pot with mineral soil and wait more between waterings. Plus maximum sunshine.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

7george wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:31 am This species is rot prone. I lost the main stem of my plant but rooted 2 offsets of it. Now I keep those in a small pot with mineral soil and wait more between waterings. Plus maximum sunshine.
Thanks for tip. All of the cuttings have sent out roots. =D>
I maybe watered them once in August and kept them out of direct sunlight. They're placed on a mineral soil and will check on them again next spring. Is the texture of the soil important in rooting cuttings? I now have them on mix of 60% pumice and 40% small gravel. The texture feels right for repotting rooted plants, but I wonder if cuttings need a more fine grained substrate. More sandy or something...
hardiness zone 8a
7george

Post by 7george »

ohugal wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 am
7george wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:31 am This species is rot prone. I lost the main stem of my plant but rooted 2 offsets of it. Now I keep those in a small pot with mineral soil and wait more between waterings. Plus maximum sunshine.
Thanks for tip. All of the cuttings have sent out roots. =D>
I maybe watered them once in August and kept them out of direct sunlight. They're placed on a mineral soil and will check on them again next spring. Is the texture of the soil important in rooting cuttings? I now have them on mix of 60% pumice and 40% small gravel. The texture feels right for repotting rooted plants, but I wonder if cuttings need a more fine grained substrate. More sandy or something...
Doesn't seem to be important for rooting but I have some % fine vermiculite in my mix to keep the moisture long enough in my small pot and dry home atmosphere.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8