Imidacloprid soil soak?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
mikethecactusguy

Re: Imidacloprid soil soak?

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi Steve
A reminder that I'm in Indio.. Maybe for a week or 2 it gets down to the mid 40's. Back up to 80 the next day. I don't mind it at all. I'm still getting flowers and everything just keeps growing. No rest for the growing plants
Mike M
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Mike,

Quick question for you -- do you heat your greenhouse at night in the winter? If so, what are your overnight lows in there?
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:47 pmSteve do I use it just as the instructions are on the bottle or do I dilute what the instructions recommend because I am using this on cacti Steve?
The recommended dilutions are as follows:
  • TetraSan -- dilute 1/2 tsp. per gallon of water, or 1/4 tsp. per quart.
  • Avid -- dilute 1/4 tsp. per gallon, or 12 drops per quart. Use an eyedropper, and 12 drops will be equivalent to 1/8 tsp.
A quart of each diluted product for spraying goes a long way for small collections like yours and mine. Maybe too long? We could go even smaller -- TetraSan 1/8 tsp. per pint (16 fl. oz.), Avid 6 drops per pint. My quarts of Avid and TetraSan last for about 2 years, and I do wonder if they might lose their effectiveness after a year in their diluted state. Such being the case, I think I'll get some pint spray bottles and whip up a batch of freshly diluted stuff.

It pays to follow instructions, and with regard to Avid here's a bit of info that escaped me until I visited The Flytrap Store's website a few days ago:

"Although slow acting, any mites treated with Avid are immobilized after exposure. Avid is active on the mobile life stages of mites, but inactive on eggs. Thus, multiple sprayings are recommend for maximum effectiveness. In our experience, Avid prevents infestations when used regularly, and can eradicate all generations of mites when used three times, three days apart."
Yeah, I'll have to remember that next time I spray my cacti with Avid.

Also from The Flytrap Store, a good argument in favor of rotating between Avid and TetraSan:

"[TetraSan] is active on eggs, larvae, and nymphal stages of mites, but has minimal activity on adults. However, adult female mites that are treated will not produce viable eggs.

"TetraSan has both contact and translaminar activity, providing up to 28 days of control from a single application. The mode of action of TetraSan is as a chitin synthesis inhibitor. Chitin is the essential component of a mite's exoskeleton. TetraSan causes chitin to become brittle and thin and, as a result, mites die when attempting to molt from one life stage to the next."

I should probably update my "Mealies and flat mites and scale" presentation with the above information.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:02 am
mikethecactusguy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:29 pmI wish i had a winter for the plants to go dormant.
Winter dormancy is indicated not by daytime highs, but overnight lows. If your lows during winter are consistently below 50, your cacti should be dormant. If they're still growing in winter, that's a new one on me.
Steve I purchased this Imidacloprid (different brand name but same percentage 1.47). (See image attached) I would have been happy to purchase one of the two you recommended but again your reply came after my purchase.

I use your prescribe measurements I assume with this as well?

Thank you Steve.
6CB516C1-A3E4-44B5-9DA6-D5175FF78AC5.jpeg
6CB516C1-A3E4-44B5-9DA6-D5175FF78AC5.jpeg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:27 am
kelc0370 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:29 am Hi all. I looked through the soil drench tread but did not see a definitive answer. For imidacloprid liquid 1.47% how much do you add per gallon of water? Do you all use it each time you water? I see it says once a year! I have def used it more than that already! thanks in advance!
From my "Mealies and flat mites and scale" presentation:
Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:46 amMy product of choice used to be Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 containing 0.47% Imidacloprid. After Bayer Advanced became BioAdvanced, Imidacloprid was dropped from their formulation (how they still called their product "3-in-1" is beyond me). BioAdvanced put it back in, although when my bottle under the old Bayer name was about to run out, I decided to go with something better -- Bonide's Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control liquid concentrate available through Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-037321006 ... 220&sr=8-7

The Bonide product contains 1.47% Imidacloprid, dilute 1/4 cup per gallon of water or 1 tbsp. per quart for growers who have only a few plants they need to soak.
You can find the full presentation here:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 75#p355175

For cacti, the general recommendation here is to give them a soil soak in the spring as their roots are actively growing. That should usually be enough, but if mealies/armored scale come back in the summer, you can do another soil soak. The situation with succulents is a bit trickier because some species are winter growers while others are summer growers. For winter-growing succulents, that'll be the time to give them a soil soak.

Also, please see this:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43816

Steve this Imidacloprid soak I purchased is different than the two year recommended I purchased it before you posted this information. See image attached. Do I use your same prescribed dilution formula for this also I assume so? It is 1.47 Imidacloprid as well.
B9F02941-A9DC-4FED-A10E-35747E4FFC2F.jpeg
B9F02941-A9DC-4FED-A10E-35747E4FFC2F.jpeg (95.88 KiB) Viewed 1153 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Hi Joe,

There's no difference between the 2 products, so the 1/4 cup per gallon dilution also applies to Compare-N-Save Systemic Tree & Shrub Insect Drench. The only problem I found with the Bonide is that it doesn't dissolve quickly, so if you find the same problem with the Compare-n-Save, here's what to do:
  • When you pour the concentrate into your container of water, make sure you have the its cap on tight (but not too tight!), and shake like the dickens. After a couple of minutes, take off the cap and see if the product is thoroughly dissolved. If it's not, put the cap back on, and shake like the dickens again, then take off the cap to see if it's thoroughly dissolved. If it's still not fully diluted, either go through the process again or let the container sit for an hour, and give it a final shake-shake-shake. The point is to make sure that you don't have clots of Compare-N-Save concentrate floating around in the water when you apply your soak.
The only reason why we would need to go with a different dilution is if growers are using products with a different percentage of Imidacloprid. In your case, you have nothing to worry about.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:06 am Hi Joe,

There's no difference between the 2 products, so the 1/4 cup per gallon dilution also applies to Compare-N-Save Systemic Tree & Shrub Insect Drench. The only problem I found with the Bonide is that it doesn't dissolve quickly, so if you find the same problem with the Compare-n-Save, here's what to do:
  • When you pour the concentrate into your container of water, make sure you have the its cap on tight (but not too tight!), and shake like the dickens. After a couple of minutes, take off the cap and see if the product is thoroughly dissolved. If it's not, put the cap back on, and shake like the dickens again, then take off the cap to see if it's thoroughly dissolved. If it's still not fully diluted, either go through the process again or let the container sit for an hour, and give it a final shake-shake-shake. The point is to make sure that you don't have clots of Compare-N-Save concentrate floating around in the water when you apply your soak.
The only reason why we would need to go with a different dilution is if growers are using products with a different percentage of Imidacloprid. In your case, you have nothing to worry about.
Steve thank you for sharing your love of cacti with me as well am many others. You are greatly appreciated🙏🏽
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:39 pmSteve thank you for sharing your love of cacti with me as well am many others. You are greatly appreciated🙏🏽
Always glad to help whenever I can! :)
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:27 am
JCcares wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:39 pmSteve thank you for sharing your love of cacti with me as well am many others. You are greatly appreciated🙏🏽
Always glad to help whenever I can! :)
One last question please Steve with this Imidacloprid soil soak can I also add at the same time that fertilizer Dyna-Gro Orchid-Pro 7-8-6 and Potassium sulfate stock solution Recipe all in one bucket all in one pop all in one shot all at the same time????

Thank you for your help.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:26 pmOne last question please Steve with this Imidacloprid soil soak can I also add at the same time that fertilizer Dyna-Gro Orchid-Pro 7-8-6 and Potassium sulfate stock solution Recipe all in one bucket all in one pop all in one shot all at the same time????
Yes, and in fact this is something I mentioned in my "Mealies and flat mites and scale" presentation on the Sick Cacti forum. Not original thinking on my part either -- I learned it from CactiGuide's Pests & Disease page.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:40 pm
JCcares wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:26 pmOne last question please Steve with this Imidacloprid soil soak can I also add at the same time that fertilizer Dyna-Gro Orchid-Pro 7-8-6 and Potassium sulfate stock solution Recipe all in one bucket all in one pop all in one shot all at the same time????
Yes, and in fact this is something I mentioned in my "Mealies and flat mites and scale" presentation on the Sick Cacti forum. Not original thinking on my part either -- I learned it from CactiGuide's Pests & Disease page.
Thank you Steve I will try to find and read those pages.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

CactiGuide_tabs.jpg
CactiGuide_tabs.jpg (48.52 KiB) Viewed 1084 times