Imidacloprid soil soak?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Imidacloprid soil soak?

Post by JCcares »

Any suggestions please for a GOOD experience proven Imidacloprid soil soak for my cacti? I was told “Forbid F 4 Miticide” is the best BUT at around $250 for 8oz and needing two different kinds I was hoping some of you experience cactus growers have an affordable solution.

Thank you very much for your time care and help.

And why I got you what is you preferred way to get rid of and prevent spider mites from eating your cacti???
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
Download

Re: Imidacloprid soil soak?

Post by Download »

What are you trying to kill with the soil soak?

Also band names matter zilch. All that matters is the active compound and the concentration. Imidacloprid is the same, regardless of manufacturer.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Once i had mealy bug problem with my plants both on bodies and roots, i found the solution to water plants with diluted imidacloprid.
I have never had any mealy bug problem since then.
promethean_spark

Post by promethean_spark »

You done need to drench them, just a normal watering. The plant will become toxic to the bugs for months, you don't need to drown the bugs.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Imidacloprid won't control mites, unfortunately. Alcohol, soap sprays, oils including neem oil, are effective - and the mites can't develop resistance to them like they can with miticides.
Spence :mrgreen:
4d3d3d3

Post by 4d3d3d3 »

Bonide BND609, it's like $12 for a qt and is higher concentration than most consumer imidacloprid formulations, so you don't have to mix so much of it into the water.

Never really had a problem with mites so I don't have any recommendations.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Breaking news:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 39#p394439

For US growers who haven't used Imidacloprid before, I still recommend it as a soil soak which I detailed in my "Mealies and flat mites and scale" presentation. For those of us American folks who have, I now recommend that we rotate between Imidacloprid and Cyzmic so that we don't end up with Imidacloprid-resistant pests. I'm thrilled by the fact that both products can be applied as soil soaks, and many thanks to Craig Fry for giving us the heads-up. By the way, I updated the presentation accordingly.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
keith

Post by keith »

https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/other ... ous-plants

Try this company , I've used TetraSan from this company and it works for spider mites.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:06 pm https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/other ... ous-plants

Try this company , I've used TetraSan from this company and it works for spider mites.
Rotating pesticides isn't just about Imidacloprid and Cyzmic -- as covered in my presentation, we can also buy Avid from the same company, so I also recommend rotating between Avid and TetraSan to prevent the possibility that we may end up with TetraSan-resistant pest mites.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
keith

Post by keith »

so I also recommend rotating between Avid and TetraSan to prevent the possibility that we may end up with TetraSan-resistant pest mites."

Yes Steve's right , plus I don't think Imidacloprid works on spider mites . Cyzmic might ? I like the fly trap store because you don't have to buy giant amounts like a pot grower . I wonder what Avid tastes like when its smoked ? :D
kelc0370

Post by kelc0370 »

Hi all. I looked through the soil drench tread but did not see a definitive answer. For imidacloprid liquid 1.47% how much do you add per gallon of water? Do you all use it each time you water? I see it says once a year! I have def used it more than that already! thanks in advance!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

kelc0370 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:29 am Hi all. I looked through the soil drench tread but did not see a definitive answer. For imidacloprid liquid 1.47% how much do you add per gallon of water? Do you all use it each time you water? I see it says once a year! I have def used it more than that already! thanks in advance!
From my "Mealies and flat mites and scale" presentation:
Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:46 amMy product of choice used to be Bayer Advanced 3-in-1 containing 0.47% Imidacloprid. After Bayer Advanced became BioAdvanced, Imidacloprid was dropped from their formulation (how they still called their product "3-in-1" is beyond me). BioAdvanced put it back in, although when my bottle under the old Bayer name was about to run out, I decided to go with something better -- Bonide's Annual Tree & Shrub Insect Control liquid concentrate available through Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-037321006 ... 220&sr=8-7

The Bonide product contains 1.47% Imidacloprid, dilute 1/4 cup per gallon of water or 1 tbsp. per quart for growers who have only a few plants they need to soak.
You can find the full presentation here:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 75#p355175

For cacti, the general recommendation here is to give them a soil soak in the spring as their roots are actively growing. That should usually be enough, but if mealies/armored scale come back in the summer, you can do another soil soak. The situation with succulents is a bit trickier because some species are winter growers while others are summer growers. For winter-growing succulents, that'll be the time to give them a soil soak.

Also, please see this:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43816
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Hi Steve.
I wish i had a winter for the plants to go dormant.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

mikethecactusguy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:29 pmI wish i had a winter for the plants to go dormant.
Winter dormancy is indicated not by daytime highs, but overnight lows. If your lows during winter are consistently below 50, your cacti should be dormant. If they're still growing in winter, that's a new one on me.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:24 pm
keith wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:06 pm https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/other ... ous-plants

Rotating pesticides isn't just about Imidacloprid and Cyzmic -- as covered in my presentation, we can also buy Avid from the same company, so I also recommend rotating between Avid and TetraSan to prevent the possibility that we may end up with TetraSan-resistant pest mites.

Steve do I use it just as the instructions are on the bottle or do I dilute what the instructions recommend because I am using this on cacti Steve?

Thank you 🙏🏽
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.