Winter barometer?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Winter barometer?

Post by JCcares »

How do I know when it is the right time to send my cacti into hibernation?

I mean when the days temperature outdoors drops below 40 degrees do I just take them to a cool dark spot in my basement? Acclimate them with a little artificial light weaning them?

Please teach me the best way to care for my cacti at the end of Fall.

Thank everyone ahead of time I LOVE this blog!!!!
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
Steve Johnson

Re: Winter barometer?

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:36 pmHow do I know when it is the right time to send my cacti into hibernation?
Cactus dormancy triggers are a combination of day length and overnight low temperatures, although I've found that overnight lows are a more reliable benchmark. Once overnight lows start dipping below 50F on a regular basis, that's when the roots start going to sleep for the winter -- here in my part of L.A. it'll be late October/early November. I keep my collection outdoors 365 days a year, so unfortunately I can't give you any guidance on what to do with regard to ambient/artificial lighting or lack thereof when growers bring their cacti indoors for the winter. Whatever you do, make sure that indoor overnight lows for your cacti stay below 50 and keep them dry before you take them back out in the spring.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Thank you Steve!!!! Will do!!!

Hey i’m trying to find sulfur will this work from Walmart?
3ACEC398-2792-4F6F-B37C-27CFAC3740E1.jpeg
3ACEC398-2792-4F6F-B37C-27CFAC3740E1.jpeg (53.43 KiB) Viewed 514 times
AND I bought this the day before you told me to buy something else. Is this ok to use as a drenched Steve if not I can send it back. It has the same percentage.
8AD70CE3-4214-47E1-BEA9-4376F2F36C26.jpeg
8AD70CE3-4214-47E1-BEA9-4376F2F36C26.jpeg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Thank you. Sorry to bug you so much.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

The sulfur powder is fine. The Compare-N-Save product is fine too -- same percentage of Imidacloprid as the Bonide.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Steve posted while I was composing this, so some of it may be redundant. :)

That sulfur is fine - "sublimed" is the method used to refine it, it's pure sulfur produced without the use of solvents. That insect drench is Imidacloprid, which is often recommended for cactus pests such as mealy bugs and scales, so it should also be okay.

Cacti can be wintered in the dark if kept cool and dry enough, but it's better if they have light. LEDs are good since they don't radiate heat, but their power supplies do produce heat, you need to make sure you don't get the space where the cacti are too warm. Lights should be on a timer to mimic the short days of winter.

The main thing is to get them dry before they enter the cool period.
Spence :mrgreen:
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Some of the Other Succulents reverse their growing season in cultivation and grow and flower in our winters. However with cacti they tend to broadly follow the same growing season as do the other native plants in your area. When the deciduous trees start dropping their leaves it is time for cacti to hibernate and when plants show signs of new growth and the cacti new spines in the crown that's the time to encourage them into growth. However that applies to them being in normal light and temperatures in a greenhouse which as Steve and Spence say is where daylength triggers growth or dormancy.

Originally it was thought it was the length of daylight that influenced plants flowering and dormancy, but scientists later stated it was the length of unbroken darkness that mattered. However others have since pointed out plants can stand some amount of light during these dark periods since obviously in habitat they do get a certain amount of moonlight, but obviously nothing like the intensity of daylight. Therefore dormancy is probably a combination of both temperature and daylength.

"Short day plants are those plants that require long period of darkness and short period of light to flower. Long day plants are those plants that will flower when they are exposed to short period of darkness and long period of light. Long day plants flower in summer and short day plants flower in spring. When the dark period of short day plants is interrupted by a brief exposure of light, the plant often will not flower at all."
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

DaveW wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:02 am Some of the Other Succulents reverse their growing season in cultivation and grow and flower in our winters. However with cacti they tend to broadly follow the same growing season as do the other native plants in your area. When the deciduous trees start dropping their leaves it is time for cacti to hibernate and when plants show signs of new growth and the cacti new spines in the crown that's the time to encourage them into growth. However that applies to them being in normal light and temperatures in a greenhouse which as Steve and Spence say is where daylength triggers growth or dormancy.

Originally it was thought it was the length of daylight that influenced plants flowering and dormancy, but scientists later stated it was the length of unbroken darkness that mattered. However others have since pointed out plants can stand some amount of light during these dark periods since obviously in habitat they do get a certain amount of moonlight, but obviously nothing like the intensity of daylight. Therefore dormancy is probably a combination of both temperature and daylength.

"Short day plants are those plants that require long period of darkness and short period of light to flower. Long day plants are those plants that will flower when they are exposed to short period of darkness and long period of light. Long day plants flower in summer and short day plants flower in spring. When the dark period of short day plants is interrupted by a brief exposure of light, the plant often will not flower at all."

THANK YOU DaveW🙏🏽