Prune or trim roots Question?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Hanazono

Re: Prune or trim roots Question?

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning LateBloomer
@Hanazono do you keep your cacti months without water during winters?
Yes I do for 3 months.

We all live in different countries under diffrent climate, and also using different potting-mix.
I cut tap roots of asterias referred to Japanese practice.
They cut all roots of young plant every time during repotting. They repot every year.
They cut roots in the end of February and repot in the end of March. Akadama-tuchi, weatherd scoria is used as potting-mix.

I attached a photo for your information, which is miracle kabutos cut roots before repotting.

Frank
Attachments
Miracle kabutos
Miracle kabutos
3498[1].jpg (68.86 KiB) Viewed 1220 times
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Interesting thread. I've always "trimmed" roots just by pulling out anything loose or fine, leaving the fatter roots intact (unless they're excessively long). I tried cutting the taproots of Astrophytum asterias seedlings this March, but either I cut too much or they didn't like the conditions at the time because they took over 2 months to root and plump up again. Some seedlings didn't root and completely dried out.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Pruning roots is often a good idea despite what all the books say. Water and nutrients are taken up by the fine feeder roots which are produced as a result of cutting the old ones. The plants respond with renewed vigor. I also grow bonsai and that is what is done to keep the trees feeling young and full of life for many decades.
If you are worried about roots rotting, you are potting into a moist mix or are not allowing the cut ends to heal before potting.
Obviously you only should trim roots that are overly long and can benefit from it.
I should add that after trimming roots you should always use a pot which more or less matches the remaining roots not the size of the plant.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:20 am Pruning roots is often a good idea despite what all the books say. Water and nutrients are taken up by the fine feeder roots which are produced as a result of cutting the old ones. The plants respond with renewed vigor. I also grow bonsai and that is what is done to keep the trees feeling young and full of life for many decades.
If you are worried about roots rotting, you are potting into a moist mix or are not allowing the cut ends to heal before potting.
Obviously you only should trim roots that are overly long and can benefit from it.
I should add that after trimming roots you should always use a pot which more or less matches the remaining roots not the size of the plant.
I'll probably need to do some root-trimming, so I have a couple of questions:

Before I repot, I soak the roots in 1% Hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes, then let them dry out first. My belief is that the peroxide treatment promotes faster healing of the roots once they're back in the pot. Is that true, or is it a myth?

Is it better to trim the roots in the growing season or do it while the cacti are dormant during winter? Since my winters are relatively mild, I'm not sure if time of year makes any difference, but not a bad idea if I ask anyway.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

"Steve Johnson" post_id=394346 time=1654580869 user_id=4655]

Before I repot, I soak the roots in 1% Hydrogen peroxide for about 30 minutes, then let them dry out first. My belief is that the peroxide treatment promotes faster healing of the roots once they're back in the pot. Is that true, or is it a myth?
I doubt it would make much difference. The most it could do is destroy any microbes present on the roots but any advantage from that would disappear as soon as you pot them. Just dry them well in the shade with plenty of air movement.
Is it better to trim the roots in the growing season or do it while the cacti are dormant during winter? Since my winters are relatively mild, I'm not sure if time of year makes any difference, but not a bad idea if I ask anyway.
Definitely during the growing season. If the cuts aren't too big you can have the plant potted up and growing within about 3 weeks or even less for small plants. In winter it would just sit there slowly dehydrating.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:01 am
"Steve Johnson" post_id=394346 time=1654580869 user_id=4655]

I doubt it would make much difference. The most it could do is destroy any microbes present on the roots but any advantage from that would disappear as soon as you pot them. Just dry them well in the shade with plenty of air movement.
Definitely during the growing season. If the cuts aren't too big you can have the plant potted up and growing within about 3 weeks or even less for small plants. In winter it would just sit there slowly dehydrating.
Excellent -- thanks, Mike!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
7george

Post by 7george »

Question
“ If you do trim allow time for roots to heal being left dry root before re-potting.”. How long would that be sir?
If that is done in fall or winter could be some months (that I prefer) or could be just a week during the active season. If the plant is still inactive after the watering that means it is still outgrowing its roots.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
7george

Post by 7george »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:47 am Is it better to trim the roots in the growing season or do it while the cacti are dormant during winter? Since my winters are relatively mild, I'm not sure if time of year makes any difference, but not a bad idea if I ask anyway.
I think there is no big difference: whenever you have time for this. My winters are also "mild" since most of my plants are transferred indoors. No one trims the roots when the soil around the cactus is frozen. Or the weather is too nasty for the collector to stay outdoors for reasonable time.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

JCcares wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:53 pm
Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:18 am
JCcares wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:53 amSteve your a breath of fresh air!!! Thank you so very much for all this doing it right the first time.
You're welcome, and happy growing! :D
Hope you are proud of me Steve!!!!!!!!

See new washed photos attached.

Steve there are a few Cacti looks like they have a whole and the base? Is that of any concern? These I just did buy this week.

Also the buds on the cacti what will happen with them?

Thank you for your expertise Steve. I woke up at 4 am this morning to do this before my family each trip😂

888742D8-3C91-4102-AB3C-8AD6E8C0D8B6.jpeg

Steve these are the two images I DM you about. Food / fertilizer.
6684BE0A-7364-470A-8D57-813D3C77C085.jpeg
6684BE0A-7364-470A-8D57-813D3C77C085.jpeg (187.39 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Attachments
446B0116-B8DC-42F1-A2B4-1D97DA06A430.jpeg
446B0116-B8DC-42F1-A2B4-1D97DA06A430.jpeg (250.72 KiB) Viewed 897 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.