Saguaro boot

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Saguaro boot

Post by Mrs.Green »

Looking for something else, I came over this ; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguaro_boot. https://www.healing-hippies.com/listing ... ural-craft Which was new to me but obviously pretty well known in the US at least. A collectors item too it seems, judging by sales post on different online sites.
MrXeric

Re: Saguaro boot

Post by MrXeric »

Interesting! Apparently illegal to collect in Arizona? I wonder if that applies only to collecting from living saguaro or would picking the boots up from a saguaro skeleton also be outlawed?
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

MrXeric wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:40 am Interesting! Apparently illegal to collect in Arizona? I wonder if that applies only to collecting from living saguaro or would picking the boots up from a saguaro skeleton also be outlawed?
Yes, I noticed that too :) Collecting from living plants don’t seem possible without destroying/killing the plant? Anyone who lives in Arizona who knows more about this?
nes

Post by nes »

Really dislike the annoying "healing-hippies" website name. Some spirit monkeys passing off random snake oils to scam unassuming people.
Spiritual nuts selling minerals as "chakra aligners, or dark energy blockers" are a running joke in all Geology communities.
As far as the collection of the stump goes, I don't know whether it's illegal or not. From my perspective it seems as it doesn't really cause much ecological harm. However, I haven't been out there long enough to know if the stumps provide suitable homes for other plants. I know in Joshua Tree, one of the shorter, stubbier yuccas... (mojavensis I think), grows on or next to Y. brevifolia dead stumps. Perhaps C. gigantea stumps also have a relationship with other plants?
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

nes wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:12 pm Really dislike the annoying "healing-hippies" website name. Some spirit monkeys passing off random snake oils to scam unassuming people.
Spiritual nuts selling minerals as "chakra aligners, or dark energy blockers" are a running joke in all Geology communities.
As far as the collection of the stump goes, I don't know whether it's illegal or not. From my perspective it seems as it doesn't really cause much ecological harm. However, I haven't been out there long enough to know if the stumps provide suitable homes for other plants. I know in Joshua Tree, one of the shorter, stubbier yuccas... (mojavensis I think), grows on or next to Y. brevifolia dead stumps. Perhaps C. gigantea stumps also have a relationship with other plants?
For some reason I have a feeling that you aren’t into alternative ‘medicin’.? :lol: I wasn’t thinking about some sort of ‘medical’ use . If these boots are collected by cutting down dead Saguaros ( or whats left of them) I wonder if thats a good thing, so to speak? I have no experiemce or knowledge of Saguaros for obvious reasons , but dead trees in a wood do plays an important role in the eco system and shouldn’t be ‘disturbed’ or removed. ( if one cares about the eco system..) Could dead Saguaros have similar or different role in their natural habitat?
nes

Post by nes »

I don't know, I'm sure there's literature on it but I think I'll keep this myself and investigate when I get the chance..