Expectations when purchase new cacti Question?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Expectations when purchase new cacti Question?

Post by JCcares »

Question?

Is it normal when one orders online and purchase 8 cacti possibly two of them have issues like the images attached?

The seller told me the holes are where they were detached from the mother plant. And also to “not let them go any longer without soil”.

What say you all with experience?

I am brand-new at this cactus hobby.

That you for your feedback.
DD989218-52FE-45A9-A99D-5BC141851375.jpeg
DD989218-52FE-45A9-A99D-5BC141851375.jpeg (266.95 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Attachments
4F1707E1-D8BF-4E61-90E5-590711841575.jpeg
4F1707E1-D8BF-4E61-90E5-590711841575.jpeg (240.7 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
9381F8D4-00ED-4F62-9044-5B04C9EBA60A.jpeg
9381F8D4-00ED-4F62-9044-5B04C9EBA60A.jpeg (274.22 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
2D7CD348-B9D1-4807-8503-72477C0F99F5.jpeg
2D7CD348-B9D1-4807-8503-72477C0F99F5.jpeg (276.33 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
Aeonium2003

Re: Expectations when purchase new cacti Question?

Post by Aeonium2003 »

The hole is probably where they pulled the pups off the mother plant. If it was not cut neatly, part of the vascular bundle could be pulled out, leaving a hole.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but your answers will give me a little bit of info to work with...

Did you buy these cacti on eBay?

What's the name of the seller, and where does he or she live?

My reason for question #2 -- advice to “not let them go any longer without soil” sounds like the seller comes from a foreign country. With that said, I don't want to make any assumptions. Regardless of where the seller comes from, IMO that advice is dead wrong, so go with what I recommended here:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 91#p394291
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Certainly the holes could be from where the cuttings were made, but they could also be where the graft junction was dug out from previously grafted plants. I wouldn't worry about the holes since they should be well calloused by now, the roots being an obvious indication.

I don't know why the seller would warn against leaving these plants without soil. Cacti are very efficient at holding in their water and can survive out of soil and without water for months, if not years. You should be able to leave these guys out in the open like that, away from direct sunlight, for a few weeks until your are ready to pot without any issues. When you do get to potting these up, it's important that you use dry soil and allow some time for the roots to heal anything that may have broken while potting before watering. When you do water, I would water lightly the first couple times, since it's likely the roots won't be completely active from the shock of being uprooted. Extended periods of wet soil around roots that aren't taking in any water could cause rot.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 am Sorry to answer your question with a question, but your answers will give me a little bit of info to work with...

My reason for question #2 -- advice to “not let them go any longer without soil” sounds like the seller comes from a foreign country. With that said, I don't want to make any assumptions. Regardless of where the seller comes from, IMO that advice is dead wrong, so go with what I recommended here:

Torchcactus.com. California

I love “cactiguide” this blog! THANK EVERYONE!!!!! Especially you Steve you’ve been very generous with valuable your time. 🙏🏽
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Okay, now I know that your cacti are coming from the US, and it was my main concern -- too many sellers on eBay come from countries which don't think twice about selling cacti poached from the wild.

Torch Cactus specializes in Echinopsis and Trichocereus -- unfortunately I don't have any direct experience growing cacti of either genus. From what I've read elsewhere on the forum, Echinopsis can grow in a mix that's richer than what I use for my cacti, so you won't have to lean it out as I had suggested.
JCcares wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:34 amI love “cactiguide” this blog! THANK EVERYONE!!!!! Especially you Steve you’ve been very generous with valuable your time. 🙏🏽
Glad I could help!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Aeonium2003

Post by Aeonium2003 »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:00 am
Torch Cactus specializes in Echinopsis and Trichocereus -- unfortunately I don't have any direct experience growing cacti of either genus. From what I've read elsewhere on the forum, Echinopsis can grow in a mix that's richer than what I use for my cacti, so you won't have to lean it out as I had suggested.
I know someone who grows them in 50/50 potting soil and perlite, with additional worm castings. They're quite adaptable. :)
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:17 am
Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:00 am
I know someone who grows them in 50/50 potting soil and perlite, with additional worm castings. They're quite adaptable. :)
Interestingly enough, I do have 4 cacti growing in a 50/50 soil and pumice mix -- Eriosyce senilis (parent and child, the child is a seedling that started out as a seed hiding in the parent's base), Tephrocactus inermis, and Tephro papyracanthus. FYI, Tephros have taproots only if they're grown from seed. The ones we find online and at brick-and-mortar nurseries are rooted segments about 99% of the time -- no taproots, and their thin scraggly fibrous root systems can't be supported in the 60% pumice/40% granite gravel mix I use for the rest of my cacti. Had to learn it the hard way, but good news is that Tephros are almost impossible to kill.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Most of the Trichocereus and Echinopsis can handle different soil condition, any soil mix from the store will be fine. Personally, I use about 30/70 organic/non-organic soil mix. If you use much lower percentage of organic material, just give them a bit more water during summer months.
They can handle more water than other cactus, but if you have very wet winter, to be on the safe side, add a bit more non-organic material to the soil to improve drainage, especially the one with hole at the bottom.
Also, for the one with hole at the bottom, adding a layer of non-organic material directly under the hole, will reduce the possibility of too much moisture accumulated inside the hole.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 am Sorry to answer your question with a question, but your answers will give me a little bit of info to work with...

Steve you asked what kind of fertilizer I was using.

Hear is an image of the stuff.

Let me know please if do you have a superior recommendation. Thank you SO MUCH Steve.
82BB43D7-7B8C-4A97-9A15-03921787E18F.jpeg
82BB43D7-7B8C-4A97-9A15-03921787E18F.jpeg (143.18 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 pmSteve you asked what kind of fertilizer I was using...Let me know please if do you have a superior recommendation.
I appreciate the fact that you're a fellow perfectionist, so I think you may be able to make good use of the following...

My fertilizer of choice since 2012 has been Dyna-Gro All-Pro 7-7-7, and here is the chemical analysis:

Dilution is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, and I add a little bit of Potassium sulfate to the watering solution. Unfortunately the 7-7-7 comes only by the gallon, which makes it expensive. Since you have a small collection, I'll recommend the next-best thing -- Dyna-Gro Orchid-Pro 7-8-6 available on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Orchid- ... 141&sr=8-2

If you're willing to go that far, here are the instructions for making a gallon of Potassium sulfate stock solution.
  • If you don't already have one, buy a digital kitchen scale on Amazon, and I'm seeing them there for less than 10 bucks. The scale reads in lbs/oz and kilograms/grams, so set it to kg/g and measure out 8 g of Potassium sulfate. If your scale reads in tenths or hundredths, you can be a little more accurate -- 8.1 or 8.13 g.
  • Pour the Potassium sulfate into a gallon of distilled water or rainwater, not tap or well water. Give it plenty of time to dissolve thoroughly -- if you see specks of Potassium sulfate floating around in the water, it hasn't dissolved thoroughly enough yet. Heat helps to get it into solution, and believe this or not, putting the jug outside on a hot day for a few hours will be good enough to do the job.
For your watering solution going to the cacti, add 1/2 tsp. of the 7-8-6 and 5 fluid ounces of the Potassium sulfate stock solution to a gallon of water, cap the jug and shake well, then water away.

Why the Potassium sulfate? There are two reasons for it:
  • Cacti and succulents thrive when P is lower than N and K is higher than both. The P in the 7-8-6 is reported as P2O5 -- the Oxygen has no nutrient value, so the actual P available to the plants is 3. That's a very good balance between N and P. By adding the prescribed amount of Potassium sulfate, the K will be about 1.5 times higher than N, and with that you'll have a well-balanced fert. Sorry, but the Schultz Cactus Plus is horrible.
  • Sulfur is an important minor nutrient, and the trace amount of S in the 7-8-6 won't cut it. Sulfur deficiency shows up as unnaturally pale (and in a number of species yellowish) skin, and the S in Potassium sulfate will correct it.
Because I grow the vast majority of my cacti in a soil-less mineral mix, I need to fertilize every time I water. Since you have soil in your mix, you won't need to fertilize as often -- off the top of my head, I believe fertilizing with every 3rd or 4th watering should be sufficient. Fertilizer salts might build up in the pot over time, so it's not a bad idea to flush the pots with plain water once a year in the growing season.
JCcares wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 pmThank you SO MUCH Steve.

Always glad to help!
C And D

Post by C And D »

It looks like dried up rot to me
I would try to remove some of it, or not.
I sure wouldn't sell a plant that looks like that, and would send a replacement or refund if I did.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

C And D wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:04 pm It looks like dried up rot to me
I sure wouldn't sell a plant that looks like that, and would send a replacement or refund if I did.
That’s what I was thinking but since you are the first to mention it I was doubting myself. Oh well you live and learn I will not purchase any more Cacti from that company again.

Thank you for your comment.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:42 am
JCcares wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 pmSteve you asked what kind of fertilizer I was using...Let me know please if do you have a superior recommendation.
I appreciate the fact that you're a fellow perfectionist, so I think you may be able to make good use of the following...

My fertilizer of choice since 2012 has been Dyna-Gro All-Pro 7-7-7, and here is the chemical analysis:

The best Steve!!! Thank you very much!!! I’m on it now!!

Dilution is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water, and I add a little bit of Potassium sulfate to the watering solution. Unfortunately the 7-7-7 comes only by the gallon, which makes it expensive. Since you have a small collection, I'll recommend the next-best thing -- Dyna-Gro Orchid-Pro 7-8-6 available on Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Orchid- ... 141&sr=8-2

If you're willing to go that far, here are the instructions for making a gallon of Potassium sulfate stock solution.
  • If you don't already have one, buy a digital kitchen scale on Amazon, and I'm seeing them there for less than 10 bucks. The scale reads in lbs/oz and kilograms/grams, so set it to kg/g and measure out 8 g of Potassium sulfate. If your scale reads in tenths or hundredths, you can be a little more accurate -- 8.1 or 8.13 g.
  • Pour the Potassium sulfate into a gallon of distilled water or rainwater, not tap or well water. Give it plenty of time to dissolve thoroughly -- if you see specks of Potassium sulfate floating around in the water, it hasn't dissolved thoroughly enough yet. Heat helps to get it into solution, and believe this or not, putting the jug outside on a hot day for a few hours will be good enough to do the job.
For your watering solution going to the cacti, add 1/2 tsp. of the 7-8-6 and 5 fluid ounces of the Potassium sulfate stock solution to a gallon of water, cap the jug and shake well, then water away.

Why the Potassium sulfate? There are two reasons for it:
  • Cacti and succulents thrive when P is lower than N and K is higher than both. The P in the 7-8-6 is reported as P2O5 -- the Oxygen has no nutrient value, so the actual P available to the plants is 3. That's a very good balance between N and P. By adding the prescribed amount of Potassium sulfate, the K will be about 1.5 times higher than N, and with that you'll have a well-balanced fert. Sorry, but the Schultz Cactus Plus is horrible.
  • Sulfur is an important minor nutrient, and the trace amount of S in the 7-8-6 won't cut it. Sulfur deficiency shows up as unnaturally pale (and in a number of species yellowish) skin, and the S in Potassium sulfate will correct it.
Because I grow the vast majority of my cacti in a soil-less mineral mix, I need to fertilize every time I water. Since you have soil in your mix, you won't need to fertilize as often -- off the top of my head, I believe fertilizing with every 3rd or 4th watering should be sufficient. Fertilizer salts might build up in the pot over time, so it's not a bad idea to flush the pots with plain water once a year in the growing season.
JCcares wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:17 pmThank you SO MUCH Steve.

Always glad to help!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:58 pmThe best Steve!!! Thank you very much!!! I’m on it now!!

Excellent! If you decide to go with the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7, your stock solution should be 7 grams of Potassium sulfate per gallon of water, not 8 grams as you would need to supplement the 7-8-6. 5 fluid ounces of stock solution going into a gallon of watering solution stays the same.

Given my 10 years of tested and proven performance, IMO Dyna-Gro is the "gold standard" -- regardless of whether you go with the 7-7-7 or 7-8-6, you'll be pleased with the results.
C And D wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:04 pmIt looks like dried up rot to me
Totally agree with Craig. Joe, now would be a good time to give you a list of sellers you can trust:
  • Miles' To Go -- http://www.miles2go.com/. Miles Anderson is one of the best in the business, and very helpful too, so don't be shy about emailing him with questions if you need advice on the plants you buy from him.
  • CoronaCactus Nursery -- https://coronacactus.com/. Darryl Craig was active on the forum, and after I joined in November 2011, he recommended the Dyna-Gro 7-7-7, and he taught me how to acidify my tap water without overdoing or underdoing it. He's another excellent grower.
  • Kyle's Plants -- https://kylesplants.com/. Located in Thousand Oaks CA, I had the pleasure of meeting Kyle Williams right before he started his nursery business. Good guy and a wonderful grower.
  • Planet Desert -- https://planetdesert.com/. Although I haven't purchased any cacti from PD, the nursery seems to have a good reputation based on what I've heard from other members on the forum. I do have some free space on my plant bench, so I added PD to my list of sources I should investigate for some new cactus shopping.
Sorry to be so negative, but Torch Cactus should've done a much better job of cleaning the roots before the people there shipped your plants. Kinda tells us that they still have a lot to learn when it comes to the cacti they're growing and selling.