Preferred soil mix for Echinopsis

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Preferred soil mix for Echinopsis

Post by JCcares »

Ok this is the last time I will bug everyone.

Last Question?

You all have taught me so much to prepare my new cacti for pots please teach me how to mix make the best soil they will thrive in.

Please share with me your preferred soil percentage mixtures.

I bet everyone has a preference and enjoys making their own brew.

Thank you very much!
2548D493-D46C-4939-BF17-F5A4177F5907.jpeg
2548D493-D46C-4939-BF17-F5A4177F5907.jpeg (285.67 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
MikeInOz

Re: Preferred soil mix for Echinopsis

Post by MikeInOz »

Loam 20-30%, sand/gravel 30-40%, seedling orchid bark (3-5mm) 30%, sieved peat 10%. - with appropriate aeration layer on the bottom.
They like a substantial mix that must be acid. A bit of washed charcoal never goes astray.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

MikeInOz wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:11 am Loam 20-30%, sand/gravel 30-40%, seedling orchid bark (3-5mm) 30%, sieved peat 10%. - with appropriate aeration layer on the bottom.
They like a substantial mix that must be acid. A bit of washed charcoal never goes astray.
Thank you. Just curious why the bark?

What how is a “appropriate aeration layer at bottom” what is that look like? Maybe lava rocks?
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

JCcares wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:18 am

What how is a “appropriate aeration layer at bottom” what is that look like? Maybe lava rocks?
The bark will provide good drainage and water holding capacity, won't break down very quickly and roots like it. You don't have to use it but for South American plants it seems to work well and better than a mineral alternative. All the ''green'' cacti like this kind of mix.
The aeration layer can be anything (as long as it is not alkaline) but you need to make sure you don't allow the finer growing mix to fill the empty spaces in the coarse layer and a sprinkling of an intermediate layer helps with that.
I wrote down my thoughts about this here.You can chose to completely ignore it and still have good results of course but this is what I like to do... https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... er#p379733
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Better to use a more airy mix throughout than have a layer at the bottom. This is why pumice or perlite are good - they hold a lot of air. They do absorb some water, but it can't readily enter a lot of the tiny air bubbles.

For Cacti like Echinopsis that like a little more moisture, I use a mix of half pumice (perlite works just as well), half good quality general-purpose potting mix. Summer humidity is very low here, though - in areas with more humidity, more drainage is advisable. I suggest you add some hard gravel that doesn't absorb any water like pumice does, reduce the potting soil from 50% to 40%.
Spence :mrgreen:
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

MikeInOz wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:49 am
JCcares wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:18 am

The bark will provide good drainage and water holding capacity, won't break down very quickly and roots like it. You don't have to use it but for South American plants it seems to work well and better than a mineral alternative. All the ''green'' cacti like this kind of mix.
The aeration layer can be anything (as long as it is not alkaline) but you need to make sure you don't allow the finer growing mix to fill the empty spaces in the coarse layer and a sprinkling of an intermediate layer helps with that.
I wrote down my thoughts about this here.You can chose to completely ignore it and still have good results of course but this is what I like to do... https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... er#p379733
Thank you very much sir🙏🏽
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

greenknight wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:38 am Better to use a more airy mix throughout than have a layer at the bottom. This is why pumice or perlite are good - they hold a lot of air. They do absorb some water, but it can't readily enter a lot of the tiny air bubbles.

For Cacti like Echinopsis that like a little more moisture, I use a mix of half pumice (perlite works just as well), half good quality general-purpose potting mix. Summer humidity is very low here, though - in areas with more humidity, more drainage is advisable. I suggest you add some hard gravel that doesn't absorb any water like pumice does, reduce the potting soil from 50% to 40%.
GreenKnight I APPRECIATE you so so much!!!!

Thank you!!!

This layman’s terminology I can understand.

When you say gravel you mean “Lava Rock”?

What about sand? I want any coarse Silica Sand too?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Lava rock is fine, some use "Decomposed Granite", or "Chicken Grit" (not oyster shell grit). Any fine gravel that's not limestone.

Very coarse sand, aka "sharp sand", can be used, but no fine sand.
Spence :mrgreen:
4d3d3d3

Post by 4d3d3d3 »

I use the chicken grit. There's a brand here in the midwest called Cherry Stone that's a nice pink-purple color. I don't measure anything out exactly but roughly 25% chicken grit, 25% perlite, 50% peat based potting soil. Average site of the chicken grit is like 3/16". This works well in my area for columnar Echinopsis species.