Can I plant them deeper?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
PolishGuy

Can I plant them deeper?

Post by PolishGuy »

So I want to plant those 2 cacti deeper.
The astrophyntum one skipped leg day and really looks goofy with this thin base (also kinda fragile), the echinopsis just has kinda ugly bottom (Im talking about the lack of ribs and those juvenile spines, I know the wrinkles are due to lack of water)

Poland, dolnośląskie (lower silesia)
Aeonium2003

Re: Can I plant them deeper?

Post by Aeonium2003 »

I wouldn't bury them, because it might lead to fungal problems but you can cover part of that area with top dressing.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed, don't have anything that holds moisture around the neck of the cactus. Plant them the same depth they were originally, then top dress with coarse pebbles.
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Don't do it never, you can easily loose your plants.
But don't worry - many plants compress and hide lower part itself with age. Exceptions tall cerei, long and hard bodied plants.
Some growers use lava pieces / stones to decorate lower part.
PolishGuy

Post by PolishGuy »

Thanks for the info, I was curious because I've hoped that maybe it would cause corking at the base and turn into the water resistant layer.
Now I think about it at least the astrophyntum might have certain aesthetic to it with funny leg like floating city from star wars or something.

Just one more question, the echinopsis has those wrinkles and needs water, but I noticed that it starts corking on those wrinkles, Im unsure if it might cause some damage once watered as the wrinkled part will try to expand and the corked part becomes a bit stiffer.
I guess I cant do too much with this other than water, but is this something to worry about?

Edit: I think I will let him become a pups queen or king and become one giant cluster it it probably will be right aesthetic choice, especially that it has this kind of "older age" lime color, I really need to get echinopsis with this dark mint color some have.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

They will cork with time if you bury them, as in cuttings. Like the others mentioned, it is a good idea to bury sensitive plants with top dressing rather than rich soil/compost. My substrate is 85-90% mineral and most of that is pumice, so I don't worry much when burying plants above the previous soil line.

Here's an example:

June of last year

soon after potting; unfortunately I didn't take a side profile picture at the time

today

You can see that I buried it up to that deeper furrow in the middle of the green portion of the stem. I should mention that the top dries within a day of watering in my climate. You may need to be more cautious if your summers are humid and/or mild.
PolishGuy

Post by PolishGuy »

I decided to not plant them deeper this time since the top dressing I've used altrought mineral holds a bit too much water for my liking, I probably will plant them a bit deeper next repotting

Btw I've used
33% coco coir
50% pumice (1-5mm)
17% little to non porous basaltic lava rock grit (sifted to something like 1 - 3,5mm)
and sifted coarse river sand for top dressing (thin layer)
I also added a wick for better moisture control

I also added mycorhyzal culture, special sugar syrup (for the myc. culture) and biohumus (worm casting liquid organic fertiliser) to coco coir for better root healing and healthy microbiome

the 33% coco might be more on the organic than mineral side but thats why the wick is there so I can wick out the excess water or water through capillary actions and control the level of moisture through gravity

EDIT:
I know I could have used pumice or lava rock for top dressing but it was too uniform and coarse as well as wouldn't look very natural or give a good contrast (at least with lava rock) while the sand looks much better.

also all the pots are plastic, the big ones are just really good looking plastic ones that are supposed to look like terracota

nes

Post by nes »

I'm with Mr. Xeric, if you bury with some, lets say pure rock top dressing, in time it will cork up and look normal. I've personally buried a few plants, including astrophytum and they haven't minded so far. In my opinion, as long as that buried part isn't wet for too long I think it should be fine.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Just remember that roots are reluctant to grow upward, an extra surface layer is the last place you will get any root penetration. Evaporation will be the only thing drying that surface layer for quite a while.
Spence :mrgreen: