CactiGuide Members' Seed Trading List
Lactus

Looking for Backebergia militaris

Post by Lactus »

Seed or cuttings. Cheers!
Aeonium2003

Re: Looking for Backebergia militaris

Post by Aeonium2003 »

The accepted scientific name is Pachycereus militaris, hopefully that will help you with your search.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:22 pm The accepted scientific name is Pachycereus militaris, hopefully that will help you with your search.
Oh perfect! Thank you.
Download

Post by Download »

I would like plants or seeds of this as well, but I'm not sure anyone in Australia has any. I would love to be proven wrong.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Download wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:28 am I would like plants or seeds of this as well, but I'm not sure anyone in Australia has any. I would love to be proven wrong.
Well, the perfect time for you would be to ask this forum around October and November, when most of the European seed lists are being updated. I could always order this species on your behalf along with my order and put it in the mail for you. Assuming this species is on the list of one of the lists. You could check the "Updated seed lists" thread on this forum for reference to European seed lists and see what they had on offer in the past. Chances are with those that do offer it will offer it again. And then keep your eye out on the next update and join in the ordering process with anyone.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Aiko wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:32 am
Download wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:28 am I would like plants or seeds of this as well, but I'm not sure anyone in Australia has any. I would love to be proven wrong.
Well, the perfect time for you would be to ask this forum around October and November, when most of the European seed lists are being updated. I could always order this species on your behalf along with my order and put it in the mail for you. Assuming this species is on the list of one of the lists. You could check the "Updated seed lists" thread on this forum for reference to European seed lists and see what they had on offer in the past. Chances are with those that do offer it will offer it again. And then keep your eye out on the next update and join in the ordering process with anyone.
That would be really great!
phil_SK

Post by phil_SK »

I don't think you'll find this. This species is a Mexican endemic so habitat-collected seed isn't likely to be available unless someone smuggles it out illegally (and as they make unattractive seedlings it seems unlikely anyone would bother). It grows to 5-6m. Flowers are produced from an apical/terminal cephalium so it would be reasonable to assume that it doesn't produce flowers until it is over 4m tall, meaning that seed won't be produced anywhere that greenhouse cultivation is needed. Most cacti are self-sterile; if someone somewhere has a large specimen of this in their garden/botanical garden, they'd need two clones to set seed. Decades ago, cuttings were taken of plants in habitat bearing cephalia and although these seem to have made it into collections around the world I doubt there are many - if any - of them left: a plant that has stopped producing new photosynthetic tissue is unlikely to survive for 40? 50? years in someone's greenhouse.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

phil_SK wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:12 am I don't think you'll find this. This species is a Mexican endemic so habitat-collected seed isn't likely to be available unless someone smuggles it out illegally (and as they make unattractive seedlings it seems unlikely anyone would bother). It grows to 5-6m. Flowers are produced from an apical/terminal cephalium so it would be reasonable to assume that it doesn't produce flowers until it is over 4m tall, meaning that seed won't be produced anywhere that greenhouse cultivation is needed. Most cacti are self-sterile; if someone somewhere has a large specimen of this in their garden/botanical garden, they'd need two clones to set seed. Decades ago, cuttings were taken of plants in habitat bearing cephalia and although these seem to have made it into collections around the world I doubt there are many - if any - of them left: a plant that has stopped producing new photosynthetic tissue is unlikely to survive for 40? 50? years in someone's greenhouse.
Interesting.
Minime8484

Post by Minime8484 »

Pedro's list (Spain, so would need USDA Import Permit) still has the species listed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qsuv_i ... TyaUAhGZKY
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Minime8484 wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:23 pm Pedro's list (Spain, so would need USDA Import Permit) still has the species listed.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qsuv_i ... TyaUAhGZKY
Hey! I just saw this! Thanks!!