Petition to list Joshua Trees (Yucca brevifolia) as a threatened species in California

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
MrXeric

Petition to list Joshua Trees (Yucca brevifolia) as a threatened species in California

Post by MrXeric »

As I type this, the California Fish and Game Commission is meeting today to consider listing (and thus protecting) Yucca brevifolia in California as a threatened species under the California Endangered Species Act.

https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/ ... 022-06-14/

watch/listen here: https://cal-span.org/static/index.php

two opposing opinions:
State should step in to protect Joshua trees
Joshua tree protection could slow state’s progress on climate goals
Download

Re: Petition to list Joshua Trees (Yucca brevifolia) as a threatened species in California

Post by Download »

Listed as "least concern" on the IUNC Red List, and last assessed in 2020.

https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/117423077/117469962
keith

Re: Petition to list Joshua Trees (Yucca brevifolia) as a threatened species in California

Post by keith »

Cutting down Joshua trees to put up solar panels . How green is that ?
nes

Post by nes »

Particularly sucks for the people who went out to Cima Dome for a month to plant seed grown yuccas. I had a friend who was going to join them for a weekend but the heavy rains came on the weekend she was supposed to go.
Had no idea Yuccas were going to be cut down for solar panels.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

keith wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:56 pm Cutting down Joshua trees to put up solar panels . How green is that ?
"Green" religion is very useful to manipulate people. IMHO
I feel shame that long time ago when I was young supported greens (=ultralefts).
We had a neighbour, local head of greens and I was amazed that they have about nothing mutual with nature protection. :(
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

There was a 2-2 deadlock vote from the four member commission (the fifth seat is currently empty) and Joshua Trees will remain protected until October when a final decision will be made.
https://biologicaldiversity.org/w/news/ ... 022-06-16/

Obviously industry (construction, real estate, energy) is leading the campaign against listing these plants as endangered, but also many residents of from High Desert towns and cities spoke out against the petition. They are worried that permanent protection will impact the already limited employment availability in these communities.

Ultimately, I think protection is warranted (while there is something still left to protect). Listing these Yucca as endangered doesn't mean all construction or other land development will cease entirely, just that the State will need to assess the risk of clearing a particular patch of land before developing it.
mikethecactusguy

Post by mikethecactusguy »

Joshua Tree and 29 Palms were sleepy little areas forever. There has always been a mystic to Joshua Tree. 5 or 6 yrs ago people realized that for $15,000 to $20,000 US you could buy a 5 acre homestead lot with a small house on it, renovate and now have a AirBnB property. Joshua Tree and 29 Palms both have entrances to Joshua Tree National Park. We have friends that bought 5 yrs ago in 29 palms, 10 minutes from the park entrance.. They paid more because they bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath place. In season and out of season they are booked solid. I just did closets for a client in the city of Joshua Tree. Driving through the city of Joshua Tree, its apparent how much it has gentrified. No longer a military town. More and more upscale eateries and lodging being introduced. There is even a high end "glamping" Airstream Trailer Location. It's all about the all mighty dollar.
Mike The Cactus Guy
Enjoying the Spines
MadScience

Post by MadScience »

Shame. I was stationed in Pendleton and we used to venture to 29 palms and Joshua Tree area for R and R. Beautiful place, even though palm springs wasn't the most lively place for young 20 somethings.
Texas coastal
9b
7george

Post by 7george »

Listing the iconic Joshua tree as a threatened species could make clean energy projects infeasible in California, at precisely the time when we need as much renewable power as possible.
Turning California into full desert will fulfill climate goals? California is already unsustainable as a state: importing water and energy from other places. Uncontrolled settlement and development should be halted somehow. The same as in many other parts of the world.

People can live with or around Joshua trees but industry wants them cleared out.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
keith

Post by keith »

In the Southern San Joaquin valley pull up Almond trees ( already happening) install solar panels. The ground is already cleared leave the true desert alone.

try not to get Valley Fever . not fun.