Cacti soil PH

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Cacti soil PH

Post by JCcares »

I did first try a search on this general blog as well as the entire Cacti guide website to learn the right PH for Cactus Soil. Came up with a blank both places.

So I am asking you all another question to help my Cacti care to thrive.

What is the best what is the right PH for Cacti soil AND does anyone ever check there soils PH?

Thank you VERY much 🙏🏽
Attachments
7D79A4E3-A929-445F-9CD6-977F3107AF24.jpeg
7D79A4E3-A929-445F-9CD6-977F3107AF24.jpeg (250.35 KiB) Viewed 698 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
Aeonium2003

Re: Cacti soil PH

Post by Aeonium2003 »

What is the organic material in your soil? Is it peat moss?
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Aeonium2003 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:04 pm What is the organic material in your soil? Is it peat moss?
There is a TINY little small bit of peat moss yes.

This is what it saids on the bag. And this photo is what it looks like Ruth out of the bad.

“This special mixture consists of volcanic pumice, perlite, sand and forest humus- - not too rich, but just right
Sun Gro "Black Gold Cactus Mix" has been specifically blended to suit the unique growing needs of all cactus and succulents
This special mixture consists of volcanic pumice, perlite, sand and forest humus- - not too rich, but just right”
63E354ED-A8B1-4E6E-A649-ECF172770308.jpeg
63E354ED-A8B1-4E6E-A649-ECF172770308.jpeg (215.92 KiB) Viewed 689 times
nes

Post by nes »

That's interesting. What is your soil pH btw?
I've never tested my soil pH but I'd imagine it's pretty neutral considering my soil mix is just pumice.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I do check my soil pH when mixing up a new batch. I aim towards pH 6.0 to 6.8.

Take a small sample of the soil and place it in a glass jar. Add enough distilled water to cover the soil by 4-6 thicknesses and stir to completely mix the soil. A lot will float. Use a pH test strip to measure the pH, unless you have a pH meter.

I use pH test strips, this brand: McolorpHast https://www.taylorscientific.com/mcolor ... -millipore . You can get the pH 5.0 to 10.0 range pack and it should cover almost all of your needs. To use these, place the strip in the water and let it sit until the color change stops, up to 10 minutes. The color won't fade or bleed. These are excellent strips. Best I've ever seen. Shake off the water with one flick of the wrist and compare the strip to the color chart on the package using bright sunlight for best results.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:49 pm I do check my soil pH when mixing up a new batch. I aim towards pH 6.0 to 6.8.

Take a small sample of the soil and place it in a glass jar. Add enough distilled water to cover the soil by 4-6 thicknesses and stir to completely mix the soil. A lot will float. Use a pH test strip to measure the pH, unless you have a pH meter.

I use pH test strips, this brand: McolorpHast https://www.taylorscientific.com/mcolor ... -millipore . You can get the pH 5.0 to 10.0 range pack and it should cover almost all of your needs. To use these, place the strip in the water and let it sit until the color change stops, up to 10 minutes. The color won't fade or bleed. These are excellent strips. Best I've ever seen. Shake off the water with one flick of the wrist and compare the strip to the color chart on the package using bright sunlight for best results.
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:49 pm I do check my soil pH when mixing up a new batch. I aim towards pH 6.0 to 6.8.

Thank you Jerry Jerry WILL DO🙏🏽
keith

Post by keith »

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... th#p380892

I've since fixed it to neutral PH and all elements are balanced . All that compost your soil will be slightly acidic I bet , which is fine for almost all cactus.

MikeinOZ has a good soil post