When to repot from a 2" pot

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
TheORKINMan

When to repot from a 2" pot

Post by TheORKINMan »

I have two Harrisia fragrans I've grown from seed. They are 1 year and 2 months old but are already 2" tall. They are still pretty narrow at the base and are in individual 2 inch pots. These are the first seeds I've grown up to this point and so far so good. My concern is that a 2 inch pot is pretty small and I'm worried it may constrict growth past this point. When would you suggest these guys go to the next pot size up?

My initial thought was spring of next year when growth season starts again but I live in Florida where we have a really long growing season. It doesn't get cold here until mid December.
JCcares

Re: When to repot from a 2" pot

Post by JCcares »

New soil a plus?
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Round or square pots? With pots that small, the difference is significant, square ones have quite a bit more volume. If they're round pots, it might be best to go up a pot size now. Harrisias do seem to grow well in small pots, though, you may be surprised how large they'll get in a tiny pot - but I have no doubt they'll be ready for larger pots by next spring.
Spence :mrgreen:
TheORKINMan

Post by TheORKINMan »

Thanks! Definitely 2” terracotta round pots and in soil that was too perlite heavy from when I was still figuring all this out so I might go ahead and go up a size on the biggest one with a more balanced soil mix
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I started some cuttings in 2" terracottas once and let them get quite root bound before I repotted them. I had a hard time getting them out of those pots, since the roots cling to the terracotta. This happens with larger pots as well, but I found it more difficult to deal with in those tiny pots. This is another reason not to let them get too root bound.
Spence :mrgreen: