cactus quest video at Mesa gardens

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
keith

cactus quest video at Mesa gardens

Post by keith »

New video lots of really older cactus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNeiqfL5FBg

Two parts one has cactus in the video the other is a interview
nes

Re: cactus quest video at Mesa gardens

Post by nes »

Posted a comment about how even though he's not from a scientific background, I appreciated him learning some new things as he progresses.
He deleted it lol. He also barely let the man at mesa gardens speak his mind.
As far as his previous videos he's said things that are just plain incorrect, and without sources or evidence for it. I mentioned it and I guess it rubbed him the wrong way.

Though he visits many amazing growers, imo he's very self obsessed and when he learns a simple thing about science, such as "a suCculENT meMbEr of The SuNFloWer fAMily" he regurgitates it non stop in every video.

I'm a hater now, I'll admit, but it is what it is.
keith

Post by keith »

I read that comment that was you . hilarious . Yea hes a youtube guy who I guess finds successful YouTube videos will act kinda wild to get hits.
Problem most other cactus youtube videos are worse. As far as his knowledge ? IDK and don't care I want to hear what experienced growers do.

While I watched the videos I did get frustrated because Hunter talked way too much he should have asked more questions like whats the most popular cactus? Succulent ? why are they arranged in such a weird way ? Are they all grown from seeds ? Whats the future of you nursery ?

I also noticed the owners hair is much longer and he looks tried.. If I had that nursery I would throw out ( fire-sale) half the plants and concentrate on what is making money and in demand so I could rebuild the dreadful benches and get rid of the weeds by hiring help. etc.

But I'm a neat freak so whatever
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

keith wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:47 pm If I had that nursery I would throw out ( fire-sale) half the plants and concentrate on what is making money
My guess is many of those plants are for seed production?
keith

Post by keith »

yea for sure but it seems like its getting out of hand with the weeds and dirt covered benches. Compare to franks greenhouse which looks like a surgery center so tidy. I can tell Mesa likes Mesmbs best because that greenhouse was organized. I would expand on that but then I don't own a nursery business so what do I know ? The good thing is its like a Easter egg hunt you'll never know what you'll find around the next corner. :D
keith

Post by keith »

I bought a mixed Lithops seeds from Mesa back in 2016 here are some that didn't rot. I don't water them like cactus anymore and they quit rotting.

Don't water them much in Summer just a quick spray, but more water in Fall you can see them start growing again then I will water. I like Mesa Gardens don't want them to fail and go to auction or whatever.
Attachments
Lithops
Lithops
lithops.jpg (146.08 KiB) Viewed 775 times
nes

Post by nes »

Agreed, but at the same time its cool that some less desired species are being kept. Though not as interesting to look at, it's nice to have a seed bank of whatever species somewhere. From a business perspective it seems like a bad strategy, but from an ex-situ conservation perspective it's nice.

As for the hitch hikers in pretty much every pot, I would like to observe some of those plants in all their glory, not necessarily drowned in leafy succulents.

And as far as hunters' knowledge goes, it definitely seems like he mines his knowledge solely off of Joey Santore and his videos. There's nothing wrong with having less knowledge and learning as you go. I just don't understand why he can't acknowledge it.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

keith wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:47 pm I read that comment that was you . hilarious . Yea hes a youtube guy who I guess finds successful YouTube videos will act kinda wild to get hits.
Problem most other cactus youtube videos are worse. As far as his knowledge ? IDK and don't care I want to hear what experienced growers do.

While I watched the videos I did get frustrated because Hunter talked way too much he should have asked more questions like whats the most popular cactus? Succulent ? why are they arranged in such a weird way ? Are they all grown from seeds ? Whats the future of you nursery ?

I also noticed the owners hair is much longer and he looks tried.. If I had that nursery I would throw out ( fire-sale) half the plants and concentrate on what is making money and in demand so I could rebuild the dreadful benches and get rid of the weeds by hiring help. etc.

But I'm a neat freak so whatever
Good points. I had a similar impression of the video, and left some comments on You-Tube.