Monadenium/Euphorbia ritchiei care

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Monadenium/Euphorbia ritchiei care

Post by Mrs.Green »

I bought a Monadenium/Euphorbia ritchiei some months ago with several offsets. No leaves on it when I bought it and still no leaves on it but it flowers now. It is placed on awindowsill which gets several hours of sunlight ( when we sees it..)

I visited the shop were I bought it not long ago and found that the species obviously hadn’t attracted the attention of mny other buyers, since there was almost as many left as when I first visited.

The remaining plants were situated in a ‘bookshelf’ with a lot of other items and was a couple of meters away from the window. In other words, they didn’t got that much light or any sun exposure I would guess. All these plants ( about ten) had leaves but no flowers.

This got me wondering why and after going trough quite a few pages with care advice I am not that much wiser.. :P Some stated that if the plant was given the right care it would produce leaves but there seems to be a bit disagreement on whats the right care. Some says full sun as long as the plant doesn’t get burned but others recommend little sun exposure and state that if the plant gets a ‘blush’ its to much.

Searching for habitat pics I didn’t found enough to give me a clear understanding of what’s the ‘normal’ look of this plant in habitat.

My theory which may be way off, is that the probably a bit light starved plants in the shop tried to get as much light as possible by producing leaves? Or is it my care that is lacking, so my plant doesn’t really thrive? Maybe I am watering too little in the growing season?
BryanT

Re: Monadenium/Euphorbia ritchiei care

Post by BryanT »

I think they drop their leaves (or no leaf) when the it's too hot or lack of water. Maybe in the shop, they get consistent temperature and water, but not enough light to flower.
I have a few Euphorbia ritchiei subs. nyambensis (which is the dwarf/compact version of E. ritchiei), they grow leaves from late Summer or early Autumn, then flower from mid Autumn. Their leaves start to drop off when they started to flower. By early Winter, they still have some flower, but no leaves.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

What I observe here is that they will not display leaves when grown under intense light. But even without leaves they are thriving. I have the same Monadenium ritchei in the same position in the greenhouse for some years now and it is actively growing and flowering even without a single leaf.
I like it like that. It's a matter of taste perhaps but I think both these species looks ugly when with leaves.
On the other hand I kept the Monadenium guentherii in the greenhouse for some years and it doesn't look happy. Now it is out of the greenhouse in a relatively shaded place and...the plant changed and looks cool and happier.
There is no right or wrong just try to find the amount of light that will provide your plants with the look you like more. They will thrive anyway.

Below pictures of the M. ritchei in winter (red ) and summer (green) and of the now leafed M. guentherii.

IMG_20200518_161228915_HDR-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg
IMG_20200518_161228915_HDR-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg (151.58 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
20220125_115547-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg
20220125_115547-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg (129.16 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
20220501_131044-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg
20220501_131044-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg (223.06 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

BryanT wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:02 pm I think they drop their leaves (or no leaf) when the it's too hot or lack of water. Maybe in the shop, they get consistent temperature and water, but not enough light to flower.
I have a few Euphorbia ritchiei subs. nyambensis (which is the dwarf/compact version of E. ritchiei), they grow leaves from late Summer or early Autumn, then flower from mid Autumn. Their leaves start to drop off when they started to flower. By early Winter, they still have some flower, but no leaves.
Thank you BryanT :) I was thinking of that, it could be the (probably) consistent temperature and watering and inadequate lightning that made them producing leaves. There are more flowers on the way on my plant, so I am kind of hoping that’s proof of it’s thriving.

mmcavall wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:18 am What I observe here is that they will not display leaves when grown under intense light. But even without leaves they are thriving. I have the same Monadenium ritchei in the same position in the greenhouse for some years now and it is actively growing and flowering even without a single leaf.
I like it like that. It's a matter of taste perhaps but I think both these species looks ugly when with leaves.
On the other hand I kept the Monadenium guentherii in the greenhouse for some years and it doesn't look happy. Now it is out of the greenhouse in a relatively shaded place and...the plant changed and looks cool and happier.
There is no right or wrong just try to find the amount of light that will provide your plants with the look you like more. They will thrive anyway.

Below pictures of the M. ritchei in winter (red ) and summer (green) and of the now leafed M. guentherii.

IMG_20200518_161228915_HDR-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg
20220125_115547-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg
20220501_131044-01_copy_1024x1024.jpeg
Thank you Mmcavall :) Ah, tht’s reassuring to learn. It’s not that I want it to produce leaves, if its thriving without. I agree that the plants look much better without leaves.

Your plants looks very nice and I especially likes the look on the first one, the ‘blush’ adds to the look, in my opinion.