How to encourage spines growth

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
yukomkom

How to encourage spines growth

Post by yukomkom »

Hello everyone,

I was wandering through different resources and mostly found that for good spines growth cactus need a lot of sun (at least 5-6 hours). I didn't find anything else what could help. In my case my cacti grow inside and has around 4 hours of afternoon sun. I noticed that spines are not so thick and well developed as it should be.

E.g. Last year I bought Ferocactus rectispinus, his spines were thick and close to 5cm long (2 inches), during growing at my place spines decreased almost 2 times - half thickness and length close to 2-3cm (1 inch).

Ferocactus townsendianus stem is pretty big, it grew at my place for a while. As you know spines should have started becoming much thicker however they are still pretty thin.

Echnicactus grusonii also produces wicker spines than expected (last year I put it closer to Ferocactuses but it started getting burns so I had to move it to light shade)

Similar issues I have with Lobivia korethroides, some Mammillarias, some Notocactuses.

However Gymnocalisiums, Echinopsises spines are developing well.

I regularly repot and fertilize, roots are in a good shape.

I've even bought a special growing lamp which producing around 20k lux for 8 hours of additional light in the morning.

I would really appreciate some hints :)
anttisepp

Re: How to encourage spines growth

Post by anttisepp »

Nothing can substitute the sun. Ferocacti aren't good choice for indoor growing. These guys need much space, light, air. I hold them all summer in polycarbonate greenhouse which is probably the best solution - they don't burn and spines grow larger than in southern nurseries. Here, in latitude of 61. Though I use some shadings with very light old curtains from may to july.
Attachments
Ferocactus gracilis.jpg
Ferocactus gracilis.jpg (151.41 KiB) Viewed 799 times
Ferocactus coloratus.jpg
Ferocactus coloratus.jpg (144.33 KiB) Viewed 799 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I think heat may also have some influence, which could explain why they do so well in the greenhouse - it traps heat.
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

PS But my plants are probably very poor from the viewpoint of those who grow own plants outdoors all year round somewhere in Mediterranean or SoCal. :)
yukomkom

Post by yukomkom »

Thanks a lot!