One more Mamm. ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
fanaticactus

One more Mamm. ID

Post by fanaticactus »

Another one I bought locally. Despite its small size--flattened globular 1.5" diameter--it bloomed with two or three red flowers, fairly large for a cactus this size. Sorry I did not get a picture of them. Using the photo gallery in CactiGuide, I narrowed it down to Mamm. duoformis/fittkaui/guillauminiana/longiflora ssp stamperfi. Then again, it's probably none of these. Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.
for ID 001.JPG
for ID 001.JPG (107.87 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
for ID 002.JPG
for ID 002.JPG (78.89 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
for ID 003.JPG
for ID 003.JPG (87.79 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
loyall

Re: One more Mamm. ID

Post by loyall »

Some hooked spine Mammillarias are are classified into the alternate genus Cochemiea
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Mammillaria insularis?
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

loyall wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:23 pm Some hooked spine Mammillarias are are classified into the alternate genus Cochemiea
Thanks for the tip. I checked them out and none look exactly right. The flowers are different than what appeared on mine. Other spination doesn't look just right. Maybe as it matures I'll notice more obvious similarities.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

anttisepp wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:05 pm Mammillaria insularis?
That looks like a strong possibility although I seem to remember the flowers were more red than pink. But I'll definitely keep it on the list of possibilities for comparing again next spring.
7george

Post by 7george »

Can be M. zeilmanniana as well. Have to see some flowers.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

7george wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:27 pm Can be M. zeilmanniana as well. Have to see some flowers.
I have a zeilmanniana but it's much taller, and I can't remember how it looked when it was small. But it's a definite possibility. Yes, I guess we'll play the waiting game until it blooms again in the spring.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Here's one more name to throw into the mix: M. pullihamata, a form with amber, always hooked spines that has been placed in synonymy with M. rekoi.
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:38 am Here's one more name to throw into the mix: M. pullihamata, a form with amber, always hooked spines that has been placed in synonymy with M. rekoi.
I'll try to find several photos of that one. I've noticed that often the photos chosen for CactiGuide don't always resemble the descriptions. I think that's what sometimes throws me off.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

fanaticactus wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:38 am
I'll try to find several photos of that one. I've noticed that often the photos chosen for CactiGuide don't always resemble the descriptions. I think that's what sometimes throws me off.
I like to browse here for Mammillaria pictures: https://mammillaria.forumotion.net/f21- ... ias-a-to-z
fanaticactus

Post by fanaticactus »

MrXeric wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:14 pm
fanaticactus wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:38 am
I like to browse here for Mammillaria pictures: https://mammillaria.forumotion.net/f21- ... ias-a-to-z
This is a great site! Thanks, MrXeric.