Butt grafting- why?

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Mrs.Green

Butt grafting- why?

Post by Mrs.Green »

I saw a picture of a butt grafted cactus on a blog here. The blog owner kindly explained to me that the point of doing this was to get pups from the scion ( and in some cases the roots). I am not doubting his explanation at all but I still don’t understand why? Is there any advantages to gain from this grafting method at all, or i it a case of ‘ what can be done’?

From what I have seen, pups grow from scions grafted the right way too. Are there certain species that will grow pups easilier , grafted upside down?
K.W.

Re: Butt grafting- why?

Post by K.W. »

Hi,
this type of grafting is called reverse grafting.
It is actually used, cactaceae, only for plants that absolutely must be preserved.
Special and rare seedlings are often grafted in this way.
The root part is also grafted to improve (double) the chances.
The plant shown in the picture, viewtopic.php?t=46464&p=395273#p395273 , should not have been grafted.
Pure showmanship. . .

Best wishes

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Mrs.Green

Re: Butt grafting- why?

Post by Mrs.Green »

K.W. wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:21 pm Hi,
this type of grafting is called reverse grafting.
It is actually used, cactaceae, only for plants that absolutely must be preserved.
Special and rare seedlings are often grafted in this way.
The root part is also grafted to improve (double) the chances.
The plant shown in the picture, viewtopic.php?t=46464&p=395273#p395273 , should not have been grafted.
Pure showmanship. . .

Best wishes

K.W.
Thank you K.W for the explanation 🙂 Makes sense when its something ‘valuable’ Other than that...What is the saying, something like this? ‘ Even if it can be done , doesn’t mean it should be done’