Weird spots on Echinocactus grusonii

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
yukomkom

Weird spots on Echinocactus grusonii

Post by yukomkom »

Hello everyone, I've bought this grusonii more than 5 years ago. It was growing pretty well, until last year some weird spots started appearing. My first thought - those were burns because it was staying on the direct sun and I moved it into the shadow, but then this year new spots appeared. They are located closer to the spines and I have no idea about the causes. Please help.
Images below.
grusonii_1.JPEG
grusonii_1.JPEG (98.61 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
grusonii_2.JPEG
grusonii_2.JPEG (114.45 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
grusonii_3.JPEG
grusonii_3.JPEG (85.19 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
grusonii_4.JPEG
grusonii_4.JPEG (83.17 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
7george

Re: Weird spots on Echinocactus grusonii

Post by 7george »

This can be a slight sunburn. No one is perfect. Professionals shade their greenhouses to the needed level.

Sometimes sunburns are followed by secondary fungal infections that progress with time. Can not be removed. But this is much better than keeping such a plant in shade where it should start slowly dying. No need to panic about this.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
yukomkom

Re: Weird spots on Echinocactus grusonii

Post by yukomkom »

Thanks a lot. Didn't know about that possibility of fungal to have delayed effect.
I've read that Echinocactus grusonii could be kept in partial shade while young not to have sunburns. For now I keep it over there almost half a year and it grows pretty well, maybe spines slightly smaller.