What is more important?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
PlantCrazy

What is more important?

Post by PlantCrazy »

I've spent the last few days reading through many posts and articles, about rootwashes using hot soapy water or a weak hydrogen peroxide, neem oil?, various different sprays, etc, and I'm wondering if there are a few basic items that I should have, that I need, without going TOO overboard?
I'd love to know about these things and where in the UK to buy them?
Also....
1) Are cacti & succulents particularly susceptible to pests & diseases, or is it a cultivation problem in general?
2) Should I wash every single new plant that I buy?
3) Is quarantine always advisable, and if so, how far away should the area be from the general plant population?

👍
mmcavall

Re: What is more important?

Post by mmcavall »

New acquired cacti must have the roots cleaned from the substrate because the mix they use to produce cacti is not good for them in reality. Cacti end up dying in this mix. It is advisable to throw it away and made yourself a new one. When you do it, it is a good opportunity to see the roots and wash them. Usualy pure water is sufficient.
Cacti are not particularly pest prone unless over fertilized with nitrogen and grown in poor ventilated places. Mealybugs love cacti but it is manageable when you give them the correct care.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

mmcavall wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:24 am New acquired cacti must have the roots cleaned from the substrate because the mix they use to produce cacti is not good for them in reality. Cacti end up dying in this mix. It is advisable to throw it away and made yourself a new one. When you do it, it is a good opportunity to see the roots and wash them. Usualy pure water is sufficient.
Cacti are not particularly pest prone unless over fertilized with nitrogen and grown in poor ventilated places. Mealybugs love cacti but it is manageable when you give them the correct care.
:)
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

mmcavall wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:24 am New acquired cacti must have the roots cleaned from the substrate because the mix they use to produce cacti is not good for them in reality. Cacti end up dying in this mix. It is advisable to throw it away and made yourself a new one. When you do it, it is a good opportunity to see the roots and wash them. Usualy pure water is sufficient.
Thank you for your advice.
PlantCrazy

Post by PlantCrazy »

Thank you for your advice.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

3; Yes..from my experience , learned the hard way.. of course you can get plants with no unwanted ‘pets’ coming along but if the plants do have hitchhikers, it’s a lot easier to treat the affected plants than your entire collection. How far away? That’s an interesting question I have wondered about myself. I would fuess it depens a lot on which species of pests we are talking about but indoors I prefer at least a couple of meters, preferably a bigger distance. Also remember that a week or so isn’t enough, two or three months is far better.