Conophytum nobile?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Mrs.Green

Conophytum nobile?

Post by Mrs.Green »

In Anthony Huxley’s book ‘Houseplants, cacti and succulents’ from the late ‘60’s(?) there is a picture of a plant named Conophytum nobile. Problem is I can’t find the plant on the net, it doesn’t seem to be a valid name or a synomym either. Anyone who knows which plant this is and the current name?
eduart

Re: Conophytum nobile?

Post by eduart »

I haven't read this book, but I wonder if it's not a misspelling of Conophytum notabile N.E.Br. 1930.It is actually a synonym of Conophytum frutescens Schwantes 1927. Yes, there is no C. nobile.
Mrs.Green

Re: Conophytum nobile?

Post by Mrs.Green »

eduart wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:24 am I haven't read this book, but I wonder if it's not a misspelling of Conophytum notabile N.E.Br. 1930.It is actually a synonym of Conophytum frutescens Schwantes 1927. Yes, there is no C. nobile.
Thank you very much Eduart :) I have looked up C.notabile/frutescens and sees that this species seems to have yellow/orange flowers. The pictured plant in the book had more pink/lilac flowers. I wonder if it a different species that is pictured in the book and the name is entirely wrong.

Adding; It’s tempting to take a pic of the photo in the book and post it here, but thinking of copyrights, is that illegal? Even if I mentions were the pic is from?