Intercity Show at La Arboretum

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
daiv
Site Admin

Intercity Show at La Arboretum

Post by daiv »

I just realized I never did this for the July CSSA show. I'll do that post next. But here are some overview shots of the Intercity show at the La Arboretum. I took just under 250 pictures of cacti and will be adding them to the site over the next few weeks. So if you see any cacti in the following pictures that you'd like a closer shot of, I can pretty much guarantee I took it. I only had one turn out blurry which is pretty good considering it was all indoors without a tripod. Ok, enough talk, here's the pictures:

daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Oh, by the way our very own Andy Cook stole the show again with his plants. I counted 4 first place ribbons, 1 second place, and one honorable mention. Some of the tags had plants on top of them so there may have been more, but I'll let Andy tell you about that. It was really great to see him win with all the serious competition.

Everyone keep sharing your experiences elsewhere in the world with your cacti whatever they may be!

Daiv
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Nice pictures Daiv. Looks like a nice show to go to.
Definitely alot of cacti and succulents in the pictures. Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Bill
ondy

Post by ondy »

Nice pictures Daiv. I wasn't able to get any good ones to come out of the overall room. Daiv's right I did pretty well. I entered 14 plants and got 4 firsts, 5 seconds, a third, and an hornorable mention. And in the end I won the plaque for this year's High Points Cacti Novice category. I'm very happy, that's been my goal since last year's show when there was in a three way tie for top rookie at the show. I also met up with another member of the forum, Buck Hemenway. He and his wife were clerks at the judging too. They're really nice folks. I think they said they had 20 some plants in the show. I lucked out and got to clerk for the judges in the same category I was competing in. One of them was Miles Anderson. It was great to hear what they had to say about my plants even when it wasn't always good. Can't wait to see your pictures Daiv.

Andy
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Andy,

Well done mate, I am more than pleased for you, it shows what your enthusiasm for the subject can do. Plus the bonus of meeting Buck and Miles Anderson in the same day!! I have one of Miles books and the photographs in it are terrific.

You will have to get a photograph of one of the winners to me and we will use it as a Cacti of the Month.

Congratulations,

John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I tried to get pictures that would give you a feel for the room which is why they don't really focus on any particular display or table. All the detail is coming.

It sounds like I spotted all of Andy's first place plants, but missed 4 of the seconds and 1 of the thirds. Andy -I noticed that your monstrose Gymno didn't get a ribbon at this show even though you took first at the CSSA show. That suggests not to give up on a plant based on one show I would say.

Daiv
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Thanks Andy. It was nice meeting you. Good luck in AZ.

The followign URL is the location of photos of most of the plants that we exhibited.

URL http://photobucket.com/albums/b357/Buck ... erCity2005
Buck Hemenway
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Hey Buck,

The link you provided asks for a password. Since your username appears when you click the link no one will be able to see the pictures.

Well, not unless you tell us your password [-(

Bill
Buck Hemenway

Post by Buck Hemenway »

Sorry about that. I'm new to Photobucket. I think it should work now.
Buck Hemenway
templegatejohn

Post by templegatejohn »

Hi Buck,

You have some real nice plants there, thanks for sharing them. They all look in top condition too.

My favourite? The Mediolobivia rauschii. A plant I have always had a soft spot for.

Best Wishes,
John
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Buck,
I remember seeing most of those. I believe your Astrophytum was in full bloom when I was there.
ihc6480

Post by ihc6480 »

Buck,

Definitely a nice array of cactus you have pictured and some unique looking ones too.

Bill