seedlings for grafting

All about grafting. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Pd1973

seedlings for grafting

Post by Pd1973 »

How old must the seedlings be for grafting? So far I have had success with Lophophora seedlings that I grafted onto perioskopsis, but the seedlings were more than 3 months old.
At the moment I have a lot of perioskopsis, and I have sown seeds of ariocarpus, turbinicarpus, lobivia and quite a few more. :)
I am interested in how old the seedlings can be for grafting.
LateBloomer

Re: seedlings for grafting

Post by LateBloomer »

It depends on your vision and finger dexterity... over 5 years ago I was able to graft 1 month old aztekium and few days old lophophora. Some seedlings already sprout large so you can even graft a day or two after sprouting. NOW I feel clumsy attempting to mircograft and opt to not graft or wait a few months to attempt it.
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

LateBloomer wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:31 pm It depends on your vision and finger dexterity... over 5 years ago I was able to graft 1 month old aztekium and few days old lophophora. Some seedlings already sprout large so you can even graft a day or two after sprouting. NOW I feel clumsy attempting to mircograft and opt to not graft or wait a few months to attempt it.
ok, this means that it is possible to graft even with very young seedlings. I will try with ariocarpus and astrophytums.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I graft seedlings of both Ariocarpus and Astrophytum onto Pereskiopsis stocks.

Ariocarpus: 2 months after germination
Astrophytum: 1 month after germination

It is possible to graft younger seedlings but the above ages show the highest success rate of grafting.
Earlier grating gives earlier flowering of scion. I experienced to graft Ariocarpus seedlings 3 days after germination for the earlier flowering competition.

Grafted scions are in flower normally as show below if you grafted seedlings in spring.
Ariocarpus: autumn same year
Astrophytum: spring next year
Because Ariocarpus are in flower in autumn and Astrophytum are in flower in spring.
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

Hanazono wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:49 am I graft seedlings of both Ariocarpus and Astrophytum onto Pereskiopsis stocks.

It is possible to graft younger seedlings but the above ages show the highest success rate of grafting.
Earlier grating gives earlier flowering of scion. I experienced to graft Ariocarpus seedlings 3 days after germination for the earlier flowering competition.

Grafted scions are in flower normally as show below if you grafted seedlings in spring.
Because Ariocarpus are in flower in autumn and Astrophytum are in flower in spring.
thanks, that helps me a lot
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Hanazono wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:49 am I graft seedlings of both Ariocarpus and Astrophytum onto Pereskiopsis stocks.

Good advice!