Help Replanting

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Pd1973

Re: Help Replanting

Post by Pd1973 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:25 pm
Pd1973 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:53 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:44 am

Are you sure that this is a Trichocereus? Because there is such a diameter difference between the living top part and the dead bottom part I assumed it was a very elongated globular cactus and not a columnar cactus.

Not saying you are wrong, but I still have my doubts about what this plant is.
Nothing is certain, but I'm guessing it's Trichocereus, just in really bad shape. He put the name San Pedro under the picture, so it can be assumed that it is Trichocereus. Five years in bad conditions, but again fighting for survival.
I saw the San Pedro, but didn't follow up on that. Strong clue. Good eyes. ... If it is correct?
Trichocereus are quite problematic for identification, there are so many hybrids between pachanoi, bridgesii, peruvianus. In the first picture I posted are Trichocereus pachanoi (from seeds), and they look like a hybrid or peruvianus, and in the second picture they are peruvianus, which look like pachanoi. In America, the PC cultivar is the most dominant, in Europe there is a large mix of hybrids. Although the seeds were purchased from reputable sellers, the biggest problem is always with Trichocereus. Next week I will be sowing Trichocereus seeds that were obtained by hand pollination. The standards are well described, but it is difficult to know what was actually sown before sowing. Only when they start to grow, can you guess what is growing, but only a dna test could give the right information.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Pd1973 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:53 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:25 pm
Pd1973 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:53 am

Nothing is certain, but I'm guessing it's Trichocereus, just in really bad shape. He put the name San Pedro under the picture, so it can be assumed that it is Trichocereus. Five years in bad conditions, but again fighting for survival.
I saw the San Pedro, but didn't follow up on that. Strong clue. Good eyes. ... If it is correct?
Trichocereus are quite problematic for identification, there are so many hybrids between pachanoi, bridgesii, peruvianus. In the first picture I posted are Trichocereus pachanoi (from seeds), and they look like a hybrid or peruvianus, and in the second picture they are peruvianus, which look like pachanoi. In America, the PC cultivar is the most dominant, in Europe there is a large mix of hybrids. Although the seeds were purchased from reputable sellers, the biggest problem is always with Trichocereus. Next week I will be sowing Trichocereus seeds that were obtained by hand pollination. The standards are well described, but it is difficult to know what was actually sown before sowing. Only when they start to grow, can you guess what is growing, but only a dna test could give the right information.
I was not even thinking of species, I'm still at Genus. I guess I'm baffled at how there can be such a huge diameter change and so abruptly. I would have expected a taper. That's been my problem.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
j1223aw

Post by j1223aw »

Do you live in a house or an apartment? I live in a townhouse with a deck in back but there is less sun it seems in the back. so I put in front or this year just kept it in the window sill at the front of the house.

So you are saying no water at all in winter say after October? I had been watering once every other week in winter and every other day in summer when it gets in the 80s F.

I used 50 - 60% Miracle gro cactus, palm, & citrus mix with 40 % perlite.

Thanks again.
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

j1223aw wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:44 pm Do you live in a house or an apartment? I live in a townhouse with a deck in back but there is less sun it seems in the back. so I put in front or this year just kept it in the window sill at the front of the house.

So you are saying no water at all in winter say after October? I had been watering once every other week in winter and every other day in summer when it gets in the 80s F.

I used 50 - 60% Miracle gro cactus, palm, & citrus mix with 40 % perlite.

Thanks again.
In winter, you practically do not need to water your San Pedro, because it is in a dormant state. Watering every other day in the summer is too much, that's why it started to rot. Once every 7 to 10 days is enough, but it also depends on the substrate.
As for position, keep it outside as soon as temperatures are above 60°F. Likewise, when the temperatures start to drop below 60°F, move it somewhere it will overwinter, but to a place where the temperatures do not go above 62°F, it does not matter if there is not too much light, but it is important that the substrate is dry.
What you can do is cut the cactus in two. Clean the lower part of the cactus from rot. Put the cuttings in a shady place for two weeks, then lay them horizontally in the pot and leave them like that until spring. Next year, the cuttings should take root and sprout new shoots.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Pd1973 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 pm you have to give the cactus the right conditions for it to grow normally. Obviously, your cactus does not grow in good conditions, it needs a lot of light in the vegetation and a rest in a cold place during the winter
If you can give it such conditions, then you can save it, the lower part of the cactus, you can preserve it because it looks natural and without etiolation, just cut it off at the part where the elongated growth started. You can also save parts that had normal growth and make cuttings.
Your cactus really looks terrible, but you know that yourself.
in the first picture are trichocereus pachanoi (although they look like some kind of hybrid or peruvianus) 5 years old, sown in 2017. In the second picture are trichocereus peruvianus (sown in 2019, although they look more like pachanoi).
Good advice!