Help Replanting

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
j1223aw

Help Replanting

Post by j1223aw »

Please let me know the best way to replant this. I have been growing it for 5 years as you can see from the picture it fell over. I want to know the best way to replant it to have the strongest base. Also do you think both parts can be replanted.

Thanks
Attachments
San Pedro1.jpg
San Pedro1.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro2.jpg
San Pedro2.jpg (84.58 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro3.jpg
San Pedro3.jpg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro4.jpg
San Pedro4.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro5.jpg
San Pedro5.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro6.jpg
San Pedro6.jpg (56.58 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro7.jpg
San Pedro7.jpg (40.56 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
San Pedro8.jpg
San Pedro8.jpg (100.01 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
jerrytheplater

Re: Help Replanting

Post by jerrytheplater »

Did your plant rot and fall over? Was it all one piece before? What do the surfaces look like on the two pieces? Brown and mushy? You have to cut back till you remove all the discoloration. Sterilize the knife between cuts.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
j1223aw

Post by j1223aw »

the rounder part was under the soil. Once I emptied the pot it appeared to be rotted. but it has roots. it was all originally 1 piece when I originally planted it but since it was growing thin at the base I put the bottom under the soil. One part the round part looks brown and mushy the other part the thin long part looks like a root that was once connected to the bottom that was under the soil. Can I just plant the root at the bottom on the long thin part or do I have to cut for sure? how to I plant it to ensure the base grows wide and it doesn't grown tall again and fall over? How deep do I need to plant it?

Thanks for all the help.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I'm thinking your plant was grown without enough light and it elongated way too much. If that is really what happened, the top part should be the same diameter of your bottom part. Where was it grown? How much light did it get? You said you have been growing it for 5 years. Did your plant start out spherical and then start elongating? If so, that was your cue that the plant was not getting enough light. You have to address that for the future.

You have not told us where you live and how you have been growing it. Members here are from all over the world. Many different growing conditions. Do you have cold winters? Can you grow it outdoors in full sun? How much experience do you have growing cacti? Is this your only one? Does it have sentimental value? Are you in summer or winter now? Are you limited to growing indoors only?

The base part if all mush is garbage. It looks totally brown to me. I'd throw it out. The top part can be re-rooted. If there is any rot on the bottom of it, I'd cut off at least an inch and check for further signs of discoloration. Don't worry about trying to save that root. Keep cutting until it is all a uniform whitish green color. Now bevel the bottom cut edge at about a 45 degree bevel on each rib. This will help as the cut surface shrinks.

Now you have to set the cut part in a bright spot, but no full sun, preferably held in a vertical position by setting it in a pot. Wait until the bottom callous' over-maybe 2 weeks. You can actually wait until roots start to appear as little buds. That can take up to two months.

At that point you can plant you cactus in a good well draining coarse cactus potting soil. Most of us make up our own and a lot make them up with almost no organics or maybe only 20% of the mix. Your mix looks pretty bad from what I can see in your photo. It looks very sandy. You will only want to plant your cutting 1/2 to 1" deep. You'll have to stake the cutting to keep it vertical.

If this plant is badly etiolated (stretched out in its growth due to poor light), you may want to restore it to its proper form via a very long term project. You'll have to root the top piece and give it plenty of light, but acclimate it slowly to the increase of light. Then cut off the top leaving about a 4-6" stump. Bevel that top cut at a 45 degree angle to allow water to drain off of it. You can root the top piece again as before if you want. Back to the stump: wait for it to grow pups and cut them off and root them when they get about an inch in diameter. Root them and start over. You'll be back to the spherical shape your plant once was.

Is it worth it to go through all of that trouble? That is totally up to you. It depends on the sentimental value of your plant. It depends if you want an education in plant propagation. We will be all glad to help you out whichever way you go. You could just buy a new plant and learn how to give it proper care. Don't worry, we all have killed our fair share of plants over the years.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
j1223aw

Post by j1223aw »

Where was it grown? I'm in northern Westchester NY 1 hr north of NYC it was grown in a window sill full sun dawn until about 1 or 2p How much light did it get? About 6 - 8 hrs .

Did your plant start out spherical and then start elongating? It started out from the round part you see in the pictures that is now brown and looking dead it is hollow on the inside it originally was solid. it was originally about the size of a plum and the long skinny part grew up out of that.

Do you have cold winters? Freezing :-)

Can you grow it outdoors in full sun? I put it outside during the day last summer and it did really well.

How much experience do you have growing cacti? None.

Is this your only one? Yes this is my first one.

Does it have sentimental value? Its my first one so that is why I want to try to save it.

Are you in summer or winter now? Summer.

Are you limited to growing indoors only? I can put it out during the day in the summer last summer it did well outside.

I think its worth it to go though the trouble its really no trouble.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions, all of the great advice is much appreciated.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I hope some others on here will help out with an ID for your cactus. I'm going to guess it is some type of Echinopsis. Knowing what you have will help with proper winter care.

When you bought your plant, did it come with a glued on straw flower? I ask because the hot melt glue will kill the growing point on the top of the cacti. Your plant might have sent up a pup and it grew and etiolated.

What fertilizer have you been feeding your plant? None? Miracle Grow? This is very important too.

We are not that far from one another. You need to get your cacti outdoors once you root it. But, its kind of late now because you'll want it back indoors before the frosts. How cool can you keep your cactus in the winter? A lot of cacti want it really cold and dry during winter. This is when they get triggered for flower production.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
j1223aw

Post by j1223aw »

Not sure with the ID of the plant. It didn't have a glued straw on it when I got it. I have been using Miracle Gro succulent soil and had just started miracle gro pour and feed.

I just purchased some stakes and put some rooting powder on the bottom of it and will place it outside as soon as it roots. I keep it in the same place pretty much year round in the window sill.

Thanks again.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

See if you can come up with a colder spot for the winter. That is important. Miracle Gro Succulent soil is primarily peat based, correct? If so, add a huge percentage of coarse gravel 1/8" and up.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

you have to give the cactus the right conditions for it to grow normally. Obviously, your cactus does not grow in good conditions, it needs a lot of light in the vegetation and a rest in a cold place during the winter
If you can give it such conditions, then you can save it, the lower part of the cactus, you can preserve it because it looks natural and without etiolation, just cut it off at the part where the elongated growth started. You can also save parts that had normal growth and make cuttings.
Your cactus really looks terrible, but you know that yourself.
in the first picture are trichocereus pachanoi (although they look like some kind of hybrid or peruvianus) 5 years old, sown in 2017. In the second picture are trichocereus peruvianus (sown in 2019, although they look more like pachanoi).
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (209.48 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
4a.jpg
4a.jpg (161.8 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
j1223aw

Post by j1223aw »

@jerrytheplater do you think putting it in the basement would be too dark and cold or is that the idea if so Ill put it there for the winter. when you say winter you mean after first frost?. Miracle Gro Succulent soil is primarily peat based, correct? Yes I believe you are right I will huge percentage of coarse gravel 1/8" and up should I add it to the top or just mix it in evenly?. Thanks again

@Pd1973 Wow Great Pictures

it needs a lot of light in the vegetation: does this mean in the summer in the northeast US and a rest in a cold place during the winter would the basement work for this?
the lower part of the cactus, you can preserve it because it looks natural and without etiolation, So the lower part is hollow though it just has roots I put rooting powder on it today and out it outside. Ill try the recommendations you suggested.
Your cactus really looks terrible, but you know that yourself. Yeah I know smh.
in the first picture are trichocereus pachanoi (although they look like some kind of hybrid or peruvianus) 5 years old, sown in 2017. In the second picture are trichocereus peruvianus (sown in 2019, although they look more like pachanoi). Great Plants again. thanks what region are you in?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

j1223aw wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:46 am @jerrytheplater do you think putting it in the basement would be too dark and cold or is that the idea if so Ill put it there for the winter. when you say winter you mean after first frost?. Miracle Gro Succulent soil is primarily peat based, correct? Yes I believe you are right I will huge percentage of coarse gravel 1/8" and up should I add it to the top or just mix it in evenly?. Thanks again
It would really help to get a positive ID of your plant to answer what proper winter care would be. I am leaning towards a globular shaped cacti, and not something like a columnar cacti. That is why I said I was thinking it was an Echinopsis. Too bad you don't have a photo of what your plant looked like when you first started out with it. That really would help. You sure you don't have one?

Where did you buy your plant? Or maybe it was a gift. A greenhouse? Mailorder? Home Depot/Lowes/Walmart?

Assume your plant comes from an area that sees winter temperatures down to the low to mid 20's F. If so, the colder the better for you to keep your plant dormant over winter. It needs to be dormant and should not see any water at all from October to mid to late March. Light is the question. I know I had to store all of my winter dormant cacti bare root in a box one winter and they all did well the next spring when I repotted them. These were Rebutia and Sulcorebutia cacti. Too complicated to explain why this needed to be right now. But I was encouraged to do so by a member of the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society. (You should look into joining this club. You are closer than me. https://www.ctcactussociety.org/ )

If your plant comes from areas that see low 50's F in the winter, that is a different story.

What is the coldest place you have? Attached garage? Detached garage? Unheated basement? heated basement? un-heated extra room in your house?

Potting mixes. I know there have been many discussions about what to grow your plants in. Check them out in the "Cultivation" sub forum. At the least I'd go maybe 20% Miracle Gro potting mix, 40% 1/8" gravel, 40% pea gravel. Watch out that you don't get limestone or marble. Get inert gravel like quartz. You could use Trap Rock, which is Basalt or Diabase. Both are grey and you'll see quarries getting this along I-84 in CT near Hartford. This potting mix will be much different than what you were used to. It will need more frequent watering than what you now have.

You can put a top layer of pea gravel as a mulch after you pot your plant in the above well mixed mixture.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

it is very important what conditions you can provide to your cactus. Do you live in a house or an apartment? Do you have a balcony, terrace, yard or garden?
We are practically at the same latitude, but in different parts of the world. NY has a colder climate, for me this year in the second half of January, February and March the temperatures went below 0 degrees Celsius (32°F). also, april was also cold, so the growing season started at the end of april (not usual). The lowest temperature was 6 degrees Celsius below zero (21.2°F). So cold winter and spring this year. Temperatures below zero are not a big problem for trichocereus, but they must be in a state of winter dormancy and in a completely dry substrate. Depending on the temperatures, I will put most of my cacti in the last week of October or the first week of November in the winter shelter, and I will stop watering them as soon as the daytime temperatures start to drop below 20 degrees Celsius (68°F), by the time the temperatures are below 15 degrees Celsius, the cacti will already be in winter dormancy, they go outside only when the temperatures in the spring become stable above 10 degrees Celsius (50°F), and watering begins only when temperatures rise above 15 degrees Celsius for a long time (59°F).
if you can provide good conditions, the soil mix should be 50% organic (peat or earthworm), 50% mineral substrate (perlite, lava, pumice). If you cannot provide good conditions, reduce the percentage of organic substrate by 10 to 20 percent. Trichocereus grow relatively fast and unlike most cacti, they like more nutrients. They also like bigger containers. Since you only have one cactus, it's best to place it in a clay pot (I keep mine in plastic pots, because it's easier for me, since I have quite a few cacti, not just trichocereus).
Watering, trichocereus in the growing season like more water than other cacti. This does not mean that they need to be in a moist substrate all the time, it is always better to wait until the substrate is dry before watering. But when you water them, water them abundantly and the next watering should be when the substrate is dry. If the temperatures are extremely high, the trichocerus will enter a short-term dormancy, then they should be watered with less water or not at all.
Your cactus is obviously overwatered, one of the biggest mistakes most people make. Trichocereus are very hardy and can tolerate many beginner mistakes.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Pd1973 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:10 amTrichocereus are very hardy and can tolerate many beginner mistakes.
Are you sure that this is a Trichocereus? Because there is such a diameter difference between the living top part and the dead bottom part I assumed it was a very elongated globular cactus and not a columnar cactus.

Not saying you are wrong, but I still have my doubts about what this plant is.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:44 am
Pd1973 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:10 amTrichocereus are very hardy and can tolerate many beginner mistakes.
Are you sure that this is a Trichocereus? Because there is such a diameter difference between the living top part and the dead bottom part I assumed it was a very elongated globular cactus and not a columnar cactus.

Nothing is certain, but I'm guessing it's Trichocereus, just in really bad shape. He put the name San Pedro under the picture, so it can be assumed that it is Trichocereus. Five years in bad conditions, but again fighting for survival.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Pd1973 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:53 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:44 am

Nothing is certain, but I'm guessing it's Trichocereus, just in really bad shape. He put the name San Pedro under the picture, so it can be assumed that it is Trichocereus. Five years in bad conditions, but again fighting for survival.
I saw the San Pedro, but didn't follow up on that. Strong clue. Good eyes. ... If it is correct?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ