Opuntia Microdasys v.Albispina failure?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Bat 'n' Ball

Opuntia Microdasys v.Albispina failure?

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

Hello,

I bought 30 Rebutia flavistyla seeds from Amazon (UK). I sown them on 9th July, 2022.

A couple of weeks later they were showing signs of life and I now have a 50% success rate. with about 15 very healthy-looking seedlings about 4mm tall (see pics 1, 2 & 3) 🙂

The above were potted in this compost and sand mix.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... TF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... TF8&psc=1

The compost and sand are excellent quality but the sand is probably a bit too fine for cacti propagation and I have probably put a bit too much in? However, the seedlings seem to be happy and doing well.

On one occasion, rather than just spray the seedlings to keep the soil moist, I accidentally used a watering can! I think some of the seeds (which were very tiny) got washed under the soil. I am assuming I would have had a higher success rate if I hadn't been so overzealous with the watering can...

Anyway, I bought 20 Opuntia Microdasys v.Albispina Bunny Ears seeds from Ebay (see pics 4 & 5):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234549341015

I sown 10 of them 16th August, 2022 and it's now over a fortnight later, but the seeds show no signs of doing anything at all (see pic 6). They were gently pressed onto the surface of the soil, not below it. As with the Rebutia flavistyla, I keep the soil moist by occasionally spraying the surface with water and I loosely cover them with a clear plastic bag to keep the moisture in. They are in a south-facing window which receives plenty of filtered sunlight.

I sown the Opuntia seeds in the same compost as the Rebutia flavistyla seeds but without the extra sand mixed in.

Should I be more patient and wait to see if the bunny ears do something, or should they be showing signs of life by now?

The other 10 seeds I have are currently in my fridge for a week or two, in the hope that stratifying them might help with germination.

Any thoughts? 🙂

1.JPG
1.JPG (276.46 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (116.74 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (60.73 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (112.43 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (94.27 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (139.37 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Last edited by Bat 'n' Ball on Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Paul.
Tom in Tucson

Re: Opuntia Microdasys v.Albispina failure?

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Opuntia species are notorious for being difficult to grow from seed, just the opposite of growing them from offsets or cuttings. Here's what I've observed helps:

High heat (direct sun) on pot of seed.
Wait 1-2 years before attempting to sow.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:02 pm Opuntia species are notorious for being difficult to grow from seed, just the opposite of growing them from offsets or cuttings. Here's what I've observed helps:

Tom, I don't understand what you are saying. When waiting 1-2 years, are you saying this is how long it could take for the seeds to germinate?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:08 am
Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:02 pm Opuntia species are notorious for being difficult to grow from seed, just the opposite of growing them from offsets or cuttings. Here's what I've observed helps:

Tom, I don't understand what you are saying. When waiting 1-2 years, are you saying this is how long it could take for the seeds to germinate?
I shall attempt a clearer description:

Aged seed over 1 year in age (since fruit ripening) increases the percentage of germination.

In my limited Opuntia seed sowing, it usually takes 1-2 months if using normal cactus seed methods. It takes 1-2 weeks if using extreme heat.
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

Thanks, Tom. I'll continue to be patient and see how I get on.
-- Paul.
toadstar

Post by toadstar »

I've had some Opuntia seeds germinate over a year after sowing as well.
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

toadstar wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:17 am I've had some Opuntia seeds germinate over a year after sowing as well.
That's amazing. If I hadn't come here and read Opuntia seeds can take a very long time to germinate, I might have thrown them away by now.

Over a year, just sat in soil is a very long time.
-- Paul.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:41 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:08 am

I shall attempt a clearer description:

Aged seed over 1 year in age (since fruit ripening) increases the percentage of germination.

In my limited Opuntia seed sowing, it usually takes 1-2 months if using normal cactus seed methods. It takes 1-2 weeks if using extreme heat.
Thanks Tom. I understand better now.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Has anyone tried carefully chipping the seeds? I've never grown opuntia from seed so IDK if it would help.
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

I still have 10 seeds in my fridge in the hope stratifying them might help with germination when I get around to sowing them. When I do, I could try 'chipping' 5 of them to see how success rates compare.
-- Paul.
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

Success!!

Thanks to the people here saying they are difficult to grow from seed, I was patient, and almost two months since sowing them, one has sprung into life 😃

I have to say, it looks nothing like a bunny ears cactus yet - I'm assuming that will change. Some might say those look more like bunny ears than they do on a bunny ears cactus!

I can't find any Opuntia Microdasys v.Albispina *seedlings* pictures on the internet anywhere, so I have no idea what they should look like at this stage of germination.

That's just one out of nine I planted in that pot so not a fantastic success rate so far but maybe the others will follow.

Pictures 2 - 4 are the same shot but at varying crop levels. The shot was taken with a 'fill flash' and if you look closely, two of the other seeds appear to have a green hue to them.

I know the green colour is chlorophyll and what is going on is photosynthesis, but I would not expect this process to come from the seed casing itself. Or am I wrong there?

Having said that, now I look closer, I'm not sure it *is* the seed casing. I will continue to monitor...

1.jpg
1.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (112.19 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (136.55 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (138.08 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
-- Paul.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Those are leaves, Opuntia seedlings have large seed leaves like a leafy plant, not like other cacti at all. It looks like a normal, healthy Opuntia seedling. Getting them to sprout is the only hard part, they don't need to be babied nearly as much as other cactus seedlings.
Spence :mrgreen:
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

Thanks for the extra info Spence.

So, will the familiar round disc shapes emerge from the middle of those leaves?
Last edited by Bat 'n' Ball on Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Paul.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Eventually, yes, though they start out more elongated. Here a nice video that shows some O. humifusa seedlings, from Lyn at Desert Plants of Avalon (whose Youtube channel I highly recommend): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DlZ4yFQfv4

While they're not the same species as yours, the size and shape of the pads will be similar. The floppiness is normal for them, though, it's a creeping species. Yours should grow more upright, I think.
Spence :mrgreen:
Bat 'n' Ball

Post by Bat 'n' Ball »

That's interesting, thanks for the video link. I'll post back with pictures in a few weeks/months when something interesting happens!

I've seen Desert Plants of Avalon's channel before. Very informative and chirpy channel 😀

Opuntia seedlings pictures and videos on the internet seem very rare.
-- Paul.