Root fungus?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
fanaticactus

Root fungus?

Post by fanaticactus »

I had occasion to dig out from a shallow planter a small Echinopsis ancistrophora ssp arachnacantha that finally died. When I saw the other two E. ancistrophora arachnacantha from the same planter, there were these tiny round things smaller than the head of a pin around the base and in the roots of both. They don't appear to be insects. Considering the weather recently has been cloudy, cool, and rainy, I'm thinking this is some kind of root fungus. Can anyone verify? The one pictured is a reliable bloomer and I do not want to lose it. If it is a fungus, what do I use to get rid of it? Is any fungicide made for most garden plants suitable? Powder or liquid? Or is there a special way to treat cacti? The photos show both sides of the same cactus. Thanks very much.
cactus root problem 001.JPG
cactus root problem 001.JPG (91.53 KiB) Viewed 641 times
cactus root problem 002.JPG
cactus root problem 002.JPG (95.43 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!
mmcavall

Re: Root fungus?

Post by mmcavall »

I cant see the round things...hard to say anything

Maybe you could clean the roots and take out all substrate. Wash and trim them , try to remove sick parts and let it dry for some days before repoting.

Sorry I can't help too much
fanaticactus

Re: Root fungus?

Post by fanaticactus »

What concerns me is what looks like bits of pumice or perlite. In both pictures they are clustered around the base of the plant. As I said, they are
very tiny. Your suggestions of cleaning them off, washing the cactus, inspecting/trimming the roots, and drying it make sense. Thanks.
Catch a falling star--but don't try it with a cactus!