Old man of Andes rot

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
FredBW

Old man of Andes rot

Post by FredBW »

Bought this cactus a little over a month ago.
thumbnail_IMG_1077.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1077.jpg (121.98 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
I never watered it but it got some rain. It was under an overhang so I'm not sure how much.
But it really doesn't matter now :)
I thought it was leaning a bit today,and to my horror it was rotten at the base.
I immediately rushed to the kitchen. Grabbed a knife,alcohol,and cinnamon.
The first cut wasn't enough but the second cut I'm pretty sure I got it all. I did take the knife back in and washed it,and poured more alcohol on it.
thumbnail_IMG_1139.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1139.jpg (169.36 KiB) Viewed 1873 times
I have it upside down in some Styrofoam,with cinnamon on the wound.

I really dropped the ball not unpotting it and seeing what I had.
This is the 'carcass" that was below the soil.
thumbnail_IMG_1141.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1141.jpg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
There is NO sign of roots whatsoever,and there are spines below the soil line. I obviously bought a cutting planted deep in a 12 inch high pot.
I thought it was kind of loose on the way home. But I just figured it was too big to be a cutting and with the deep pot........
At any rate here is where it's at now. There is still about 9 inches of good cactus left.
I could really use some advice on what to do next. I just cut it off straight to get it away from the rot. And as I said it has cinnamon on it.
thumbnail_IMG_1140.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1140.jpg (67.63 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
Should I cut off the edges to make it more rounded,or cut it at an angle,or leave it flat?
Winter is around the corner,and I'm already bringing things inside. Things aren't looking good for it
Help please :)
FredBW

Re: Old man of Andes rot

Post by FredBW »

I just brushed off a big part of the cinnamon,and put on some rooting powder.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

FredBW wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:11 am I just brushed off a big part of the cinnamon,and put on some rooting powder.
Does the rooting powder contain a fungicide? If it does, excellent. If not, brush it off and apply a liberal dusting of sulfur powder as you did with the cinnamon. Sulfur powder is a highly effective fungicide. Don't even think about watering until the cactus starts growing new roots, and that won't happen until next year's growing season kicks into gear.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Thanks Steve
I don't believe my rooting powder has fungicide. I will have to get some sulfur powder.
Yea,from what I am reading. I need to find a way to stand it upright where it gets some sunlight and keep the bottom open somehow so it gets some air for at least 2 or 3 months. By then it should be dormant. I have a good window in a spare bedroom that gets pretty chilly.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

FredBW wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:20 am Thanks Steve
I don't believe my rooting powder has fungicide. I will have to get some sulfur powder.
Yea,from what I am reading. I need to find a way to stand it upright where it gets some sunlight and keep the bottom open somehow so it gets some air for at least 2 or 3 months. By then it should be dormant. I have a good window in a spare bedroom that gets pretty chilly.
Sounds like you're on the right track. The tricky part is being patient about the rooting process, and I don't know if Old Man of the Andes is fast or slow about growing new roots when one has to do a chop-chop. My guess is that you'll starting seeing them next summer, which I'm sure will feel like forever. This brings up an old joke you might appreciate -- February is the longest 2 months of the year. :lol:
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Don't afraid, it's bulletproof plant, no problems in standart conditions. Hope it will root easily and next year will grow very profusely. Trichocereus and echinopsis are the close relatives to them and I never had any difficulties in growing them.
Last edited by anttisepp on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Thanks for the moral support. At least there may be hope.
Time will tell.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

A lot of people bevel the edges of the cut so when shrinkage occurs as it callous' you won't end up with a hollow bottom. Make a series of small cuts on the edge all around.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:00 pm A lot of people bevel the edges of the cut so when shrinkage occurs as it callous' you won't end up with a hollow bottom. Make a series of small cuts on the edge all around.
Thanks Jerry. I was hoping someone would tell me to do that :D . It makes sense to me. It is over 4 inches across,and would no doubt wind up concave.
I ordered sulfur powder from Amazon and won't see it until tomorrow. When it shows up I will put a bevel on it. (Carefully)

Man I feel soo stupid for not unpotting that thing to see what was there. I will not make that mistake again!
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Steve,that really is an awesome gallery you have there =D>

And yes February really is the longest 2 months of the year.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

FredBW wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:40 pmSteve,that really is an awesome gallery you have there =D>
Thanks, Fred! :D
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Sulfur showed up today,so I did some surgery. Trimmed some hair and spines off and trimmed the edge. Shop vacced and scraped the cinnamon off and poured the sulfur to it. I was somewhat happy there were no signs of mushy spots,and it seemed to already be drying out. I about cry every time I see it. But on the other hand, I guess I am lucky I saw it's stance didn't look right when I did.
The way that thing stunk the other day when I cut it off I bet the rot was spreading pretty fast! It sure made the flies happy :D
I guess I will leave it upside down in it's Styrofoam cradle for a while till it dries out better,then probably lay it on it's side in the Styrofoam and turn it every week or 2. It is in the basement where it gets just a little light from a grow light for now.,And I guess once it calluses I will figure out a way to stand it up and put it in the window.
Thanks for the advice 8) I'll let you know whether this goes right or wrong!
thumbnail_IMG_1157.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1157.jpg (88.21 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Fred. See if you can keep your plant upright now. Plant hormones do move within the plant based on gravity. Roots form down. Am I certain this happens in cacti? Not really, but it can't hurt. Some cacti, if horizontal, will put out roots on the side facing down.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Pd1973

Post by Pd1973 »

yes, as soon as the wound dries a little, feel free to put substrate on it and do not water it. I have a good feeling about your cactus.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Thanks for the advice. I wondered for a couple minutes how i was going to stand it up leaving the wound open to air. When I realized the chunk of Styrofoam it was already in will work just fine. It is standing up in the foam cradle with 95% of the wound is open to air. I will turn it every day or 2 so the same spot doesn't rest on the foam all of the time. I don't want to Jinx myself or the cactus. But I am also starting to feel this cactus just might make it. I do know those two months of February are going to be tough though :)