Names for Seedlings

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Holunder

Names for Seedlings

Post by Holunder »

I have some questions about naming seedlings, maybe somebody can help.

1.As far as I understand naming plants is like this:
Genus + Species + Forma/Cultivar/Clone
And normally species don’t cross pollinate with different species in their natural habitat, Forma/Cultivar/Clone would mix.

If one of my cacti is pollinated by some unknown other species in the greenhouse, I think it will be: Genus of mother spec. or hybrid.
Are there any cacti of one genus known that would mix with cacti of a different genus in a Greenhouse?

2. I have sown some Astrophytum seeds last winter. Some of them will have their parents specific cultivar attributes others not.
How would you call seedlings of a Astrophytum asterias Hanazono without the Hanazono Areoles??
Or an Astrophytum asterias cv. Super Kabuto seedling that looks like a natural form of Astrophytum asterias?

It would be nice to name them, but so far I would call them cute green blobs. :alien:
Hanazono

Re: Names for Seedlings

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Holunder,
2. I have sown some Astrophytum seeds last winter. Some of them will have their parents specific cultivar attributes others not.
How would you call seedlings of a Astrophytum asterias Hanazono without the Hanazono Areoles??
Or an Astrophytum asterias cv. Super Kabuto seedling that looks like a natural form of Astrophytum asterias?
Hanazono kabuto will show hanazono areoles when the cactus reached to around 10 years old if you keep it as own-rooted cactus.
Your seedlings are less than 1 year old. You have to wait 10 more years to confirm the species.

One super kabuto was found in 1980s. Unfortunately it was just one.
Various formes of asterias was crossed with the one to increase quantity later.
There are no guarantee all seedlings to be super kabuto even if both parents were very good super kabutos.
One year old super kabuto seedlings show a special pattern. I normally select them when seedlings were one year old.

Frank
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Hanazono wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:32 pm G'morning Holunder,
Hanazono kabuto will show hanazono areoles when the cactus reached to around 10 years old if you keep it as own-rooted cactus.
Your seedlings are less than 1 year old. You have to wait 10 more years to confirm the species.

One super kabuto was found in 1980s. Unfortunately it was just one.
Various formes of asterias was crossed with the one to increase quantity later.
There are no guarantee all seedlings to be super kabuto even if both parents were very good super kabutos.
One year old super kabuto seedlings show a special pattern. I normally select them when seedlings were one year old.

Frank

Do you have a quide on the actual traits I saw another post on here where a member posted a few asterias and you ID'd miracle kabuto and something but I honestly could barely notice a different. Hanazono traits I understand somewhat but other clones don't seem so easy to find a reliable guide
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

Holunder,

I found a photo of 1 year old super kabuto seedlings. I attached the photo for your information.
Seedlings with two white lines will be super kabuto.

Frank
Attachments
1 year old super kabuto seedlings
1 year old super kabuto seedlings
G11 - Copy.JPG (53.32 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Holunder

Post by Holunder »

Hello Hanazono,

thank you for your answer. And the picture of the kabuto seedlings, now I know what to look for.
Hanazono wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:32 pm G'morning Holunder,

10 years, no problem, I have some patience :-D
Hanazono wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:32 pm
I probably will keep all my nice looking seedlings, even if they don´t show kabuto patterns.
And I would like to name them.

So if nobody here knows, I guess they are probably "Astrophytum hybrid" "or "Astrophytum asterias" if no other species is in the mix.
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

it would be just astrophytum asterias or you could add hybrid/mix to the end... you wouldn't add cv. Super Kabuto since it didn't show the trait even if it is probably carrying it.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I took photos of super kabuto seedlings every year as a seedling record.
2 years old super kabutos show the character of "super" clearly. You can wait one more year to give name.
A photo of 2 year old super kabuto seedlings is attached for your information. I selected when they were 1 year old but it still was included "not super kabuto" seedlings.
Attachments
2 years old super kabuto seedlings
2 years old super kabuto seedlings
2 years super kabuto.JPG (132.75 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

Do the ones with a 'ring' around rather then the 2 lines also have a good chance of being super kabuto? these are 6-7 months old.. not gonna thin out but would repot separately.
Attachments
9-12 (24).JPG
9-12 (24).JPG (169.91 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
9-12 (25).JPG
9-12 (25).JPG (147.38 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
9-12 (26).JPG
9-12 (26).JPG (169.67 KiB) Viewed 1562 times
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning LateBloomer,
Do the ones with a 'ring' around rather then the 2 lines also have a good chance of being super kabuto?
Yes they do. They will be good super kabutos.

A young super kabuto has white lines on bottom of ribs. Other asterias including miracle kabuto do not have any lines on bottom of ribs.
White lines on seedling move to bottom of ribs when super kabuto became a young plant.
I attached a photo of young super kabuto. Please have a look.

I normally keep many asterias seedlings until they became 5 yeras old. I do a hard selection at 5 years old.
I attached two photos, 4 years old and 5 years old.

Frank
Attachments
Young super kabuto
Young super kabuto
IMG_0630.JPG (83.88 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
4 yeras old asterias in 5 cm square tubes
4 yeras old asterias in 5 cm square tubes
4 years kabuto.JPG (147.59 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
5 yeras old asterias in 8.5 cm suqare pots
5 yeras old asterias in 8.5 cm suqare pots
5 years kabuto.JPG (127.26 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Holunder

Post by Holunder »

LateBloomer and Hanazono, thank you for your fotos. I just checked my seedlings, I found only one with stripes. They are also around 7 months. Is there some hope for more? Hanazono, your 2-year old super kabutos have already lots of nice freckels. I hope more than one of my seedling will look that nice.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

G'morning Holunder,
Is there some hope for more?
Yes there is, I am sure. You need two at least to harvet seeds.

Frank
Holunder

Post by Holunder »

I think I will find a different supplier for seeds and sow another batch next winter. Than maybe in 5 years I have enough plants to produce my own seeds.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

OFFTOP 2 Hanazono: very impressive UFO base :D