Tips on germinating Echinocactus texensis seeds?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Kira

Tips on germinating Echinocactus texensis seeds?

Post by Kira »

Hello, cactus friends!
I've been reading the forum for a while but this is my first post. Nice to meet you! I live in Texas and I harvested fresh seeds today from Echinocactus texensis (a.k.a.Homalocephala texensis). I have read that other species in this genus can be difficult to germinate so I am looking for advice on how to treat these seeds. For example, Hana said that E. horiznthalonius benefit from aging, but is that true for this species also? If so, should I age them in the refrigerator or age them at room temperature? I am new to cactus seed germination and have just recently tried the baggie method for the first time. My first batch of seeds emerged from 12 weeks in the freezer a week ago and a couple of them have germinated. No mold so far!
Thanks, everyone!
Kira
Steve Johnson

Re: Tips on germinating Echinocactus texensis seeds?

Post by Steve Johnson »

Kira wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:28 pm Hello, cactus friends!
I've been reading the forum for a while but this is my first post. Nice to meet you! I live in Texas and I harvested fresh seeds today from Echinocactus texensis (a.k.a.Homalocephala texensis). I have read that other species in this genus can be difficult to germinate so I am looking for advice on how to treat these seeds. For example, Hana said that E. horiznthalonius benefit from aging, but is that true for this species also? If so, should I age them in the refrigerator or age them at room temperature? I am new to cactus seed germination and have just recently tried the baggie method for the first time. My first batch of seeds emerged from 12 weeks in the freezer a week ago and a couple of them have germinated. No mold so far!
Thanks, everyone!
Kira
You might want to post this in the Grown From Seed forum:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Kira

Post by Kira »

Oops! Thanks, Steve. I'll repost over there
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Kira wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:51 pm Oops! Thanks, Steve. I'll repost over there
No worries -- members posting for the first time may not be aware of what the different forums cover. Although you're not exactly a new member, this should help:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46113

My presentation describes the most active forums, so if you'd like to know what the other ones are there for, all you have to do is mouse over the title of each forum and get a basic description. The idea is to have our members getting as many page views as possible whenever they're posting -- the reason why it's important to post in the right forum, especially when members are requesting advice.

I'm glad you found CactiGuide, and I hope you'll take full advantage of everything it has to offer! :D
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
Kira

Post by Kira »

This is super helpful! Thanks, Steve!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Kira wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:02 pm This is super helpful! Thanks, Steve!
You're most welcome, Kira!