Tips on germinating Echinocactus texensis seeds?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Kira

Tips on germinating Echinocactus texensis seeds?

Post by Kira »

Hello, cactus friends!
Nice to meet you! I live in Texas and I harvested fresh seeds yesterday from Echinocactus texensis (a.k.a.Homalocephala texensis). I have read that other species in this genus can be difficult to germinate so I am looking for advice on how to treat these seeds. For example, Hana said that E. horiznthalonius benefit from aging, but is that true for this species also? If so, should I age them in the refrigerator or age them at room temperature? I am new to cactus seed germination and have just recently tried the baggie method for the first time. My first batch of seeds emerged from 12 weeks in the freezer a week ago and a couple of them have germinated. No mold so far!
Thanks, everyone!
Kira
Tom in Tucson

Re: Tips on germinating Echinocactus texensis seeds?

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Ageing is good, but not a requirement.

Recently many of the Echinocactus were either moved back to Homalocephala from Echinocactus (E. texensis), or transferred for the first time to Homalocephala. Those new to this genus are H. polycephalus, and H. parryi. With these new species, I've found that old seed sown at high temperatures show the best results. Age is not mandatory, but heat certainly helps for all of the species. Temperatures of 75-90˚ at night and 95-110˚ during the day works well for me.

Good luck!
Kira

Post by Kira »

Thank you for the info, Tom! I won't try germinating them until late spring when Texas creates those temperatures for me. In the meantime, do you recommend storing them in the refrigerator or at room temp? And should I cold stratify them in the freezer before the heat sets in? If so, how many weeks do you recommend? Do you scarify your seeds?
Kira
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Kira wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:36 pm Thank you for the info, Tom! I won't try germinating them until late spring when Texas creates those temperatures for me. In the meantime, do you recommend storing them in the refrigerator or at room temp? And should I cold stratify them in the freezer before the heat sets in? If so, how many weeks do you recommend? Do you scarify your seeds?
Kira
Sure thing.

No special storage temperature needed.

No need to stratify or scarify. Some growers in Europe claim sulfuric acid is required. BS

No cold needed,. Heat is the best stimulant.