Small easyflowering cacti?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Mrs.Green

Small easyflowering cacti?

Post by Mrs.Green »

With small I mean windowsill sized cacti. Which rules out species that normally don’t flower before they are 100 centimers high or taller or species that gets to big to fit on a windowsill before any ‘action’ takes place. Second and just as as important; The species I am looking for must not be to dependent on steady sunshine and high temperatures ( over 20 degrees celsius) for long periods to flower/fully open their flowers.

Gymnocalyciums don’t seem to fit the bill or at least not the second part. They all set buds and to some extent open the flowers but not a single one of them opened the flowers fully this year. Which is a little bit frustrating.

On the other hand a couple of Parodia species didn’t seem to mind the cold and overcast summer to much, they both graced me with nice flowers. Most of the Mammilarias flowered too , very nice flowers but I wish they were a bit bigger..

Matucanas seems to have nice flowers from what I can see online and according to some info they don’t need full sun for days on end and high temperatures to flower?

Input/suggestions greatly appreciated 😊
greenknight

Re: Small easyflowering cacti?

Post by greenknight »

Rebutia is what springs to mind.
Spence :mrgreen:
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

I have a Rebutia pulvinosa sub. perplexa (Aylostera perplexa) which goes mad every year with flowers. Mamm. bocasana has flowered all summer long.
Stenocactus and Thelocactus give good results, as does Gymnocalycium anisitsii.
I'm in the north of England, so we don't usually get very hot weather (this year an exception!)
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

There's a big list of mammillarias with large flowers (eg sheldonii, louisae, theresae, saboae, lossfeldiana, guelzowiana(=Krainzia) etc).
All Turbinicarpus are small with flowers from very early age.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Thank you Greenknight, Gillinger and Anttisepp 😊 Rebutias doesn’t seem to be to impressed by the conditions I am offering or my growing skills..I lost one last winter and the other two I have just sit there, without much happening on the growth front either.

I do have a young Thelocactus bicolor that seems to thrive, to small to flower yet though.

Anttisepp; Turbinicarpus, wouldnt they prefer a bit more warmth and sunshine to flower?

No thoughts about Matucana’s?