Variegated. But how? Which method we can take advantaged of?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Lupask01

Variegated. But how? Which method we can take advantaged of?

Post by Lupask01 »

:) Recently, there was the question came up to my mind. How people generates such beauty mutation like this at a large scale?
Any material and method needed?
I have two plants from these samples for almost 2 years and they growth incredibly slow, compared with the ordinary Astrophytum asteria.
Attachments
20220926_173303.jpg
20220926_173303.jpg (200.23 KiB) Viewed 480 times
DaveW

Re: Variegated. But how? Which method we can take advantaged of?

Post by DaveW »

More or less like breeding roses I guess you just keep crossing the ones you like best, raising those seedlings and throw disappointing ones away. Obviously, you will have more luck doing it on a large scale than an amateur with a dozen or so plants to start with. Thats how the Japanese breed their elaborate Astrophytum cultivars. Possibly with variegates also grafting and blinding a mother plant and hope it will offset from the variegated portion, or throw out an even more variegated pup.

From the Web:-

"Each year Peter Beales Roses launch their newest and most exciting roses. These new varieties are usually launched at prestigious flower shows, like the RHS Chelsea Flower Show. Typically, it will take between 5 to 8 years for a rose to get to this stage and out of the few roses launched each year, around 50,000 others would have been rejected!"