rooting echinofossulocactus help :(

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
memememe

rooting echinofossulocactus help :(

Post by memememe »

I recently purchased a big old echinofossulocactus online, and it came without roots :( ... It was supposed to have come with roots from the hylocereus, as in the pics of the plant, but it just came with a hole. Can anyone give any tips for rooting it? It seems to still have a bit of Hylocereus wedged inside it - not surprising since it was degrafted. It's not rotting, and the bottom is quite firm. Is it okay to put it onto the dirt now, or should I leave it on the table for a bit longer? I've tried to cut out the hylo, but it's a bit hard, and I am afraid of cutting the cactus by accident.
Attachments
IMG_20220929_163154.jpg
IMG_20220929_163154.jpg (30.72 KiB) Viewed 866 times
IMG_20220929_163148.jpg
IMG_20220929_163148.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 866 times
IMG_20220929_163141.jpg
IMG_20220929_163141.jpg (29.76 KiB) Viewed 866 times
anttisepp

Re: rooting echinofossulocactus help :(

Post by anttisepp »

Fill a pot with cactus soil and add some poor sand on the surface.
Put your cactus on a sand and press a bit.
If you live in a warm climate you can water it 1-2 times a month after a month,
if not plant have to stay dry till the spring.
I'd moist cut surface with hydrogen peroxide 3% and then care it
with rooting hormone or sulfuric powder preventing possible rot.
They root and grow on own roots easily enough. IMHO
memememe

Post by memememe »

Ok thanks!
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

memememe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:21 am I recently purchased a big old echinofossulocactus online, and it came without roots :( ... It was supposed to have come with roots from the hylocereus, as in the pics of the plant, but it just came with a hole.
That's terrible from a seller, if they haven't informed you well.
Where did you buy it?

The only reason I can tell for sending a plant without roots if it was poached form habitat, or it was grown in a greenhouse but it had to go through customs in the post and the plant needed to be completely free from bugs and soil for it to pass customs. You bought it from abroad?

It is a nice plant, and it should regrow some roots in a few months time. Just have patience.
memememe

Post by memememe »

nope - not from abroad. But it was supposed to be a rooted plant. Bought it from some random seller I found online who was selling plants cheap - this was the equivalent of 5 USD, plus shipping maybe 7... This wasn't the only one up for sale, and though I am not certain that the other ones don't have roots, this one obviously doesn't, and I am probably not buying there again (though I still might, considering the low prices :roll: ). The seller had sold numerous plants before, all rooted, as shown in the images from the reviews section. 4.9 stars too! Not sure why this one arrived without roots. Also not sure how he/she got so many, but they all do seem to have been grafted at some point. Thanks for the reassurance!
memememe

Post by memememe »

It rooted :D shrank a bit, and I lifted it up today to find some small roots :)